Honored Contributor

Well, I wasn't expecting that. I made some corn fritters for my lunch today and took out one egg initially and cracked it, no problem. Checked my recipe and saw it called for two eggs, I pulled out a second egg and couldn't crack it. What? I was very confused. I've never had an uncrackable egg before. Upon closer examination, it had a long crack already in it, but the egg was like a rock. It had frozen. Huh? I checked the other five eggs in the carton and yep, they were all frozen solid.

Why? I have no idea. The butter alongside the eggs wasn't frozen. The soda and water alongside the eggs weren't frozen. The milk chocolate for baking wasn't frozen, but six of my seven eggs were frozen solid. The eggs were kept where my eggs are always kept and they've never frozen before. I've had this refrigerator for eight (or so) years. For whatever reason today my eggs decided to freeze. Well, six of the seven. The seventh was fine. I cut the recipe in half since I didn't trust the frozen eggs to still be good. The cracked shells from the freezing had left the inside of the eggs somewhat exposed and I had no idea how long they'd been cracked, so into the trash they went.

That surprised me to no end. I can find things in my fridge blindfolded as everything is always in the same place. The eggs were where they always are and they'd never frozen before, but today they were frozen. Well, six of the seven anyway. No idea why the seventh wasn't frozen or why the six were. I keep the fridge at 40 degrees and it was still at forty when I checked the temp, so they shouldn't have been frozen, but frozen they were. Weird!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

That is weird.

I have had like 1 frozen egg before.

I love corn fritters and I have to say I make incredibly good ones if I do say so myself, and I do😄

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Just a guess.............they were frozen when you bought them.  You just didn't know it until now.

Perhaps froze in transport refrigerated truck or at the market walk-in cooler.

Respected Contributor

@gardenman I bet they were frozen when you bought them. I keep a carton of Egg Beaters in my fridge for baking emergencies. They have a long shelf life. My son taught me that trick since he hates eggs and only using them in recipes.

Respected Contributor

@gardenman I have no idea why just one of your eggs froze, but if you and @on the bay could please post your recipes for corn fritters, I'd be very appreciative.  My mother, who is deceased,  made them any time we had chicken for dinner.  Unfortunately I never copied her recipe.  I've tried different recipes, but they were never the same.

Thank you,

Coffeedrinker

Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker 

My fritter recipe is very simple. 

1 cup self-rising flour

1/2 cup milk

2 eggs

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 cups cooked corn

Just stir it all together and fry them by the spoonful of batter. You can shallow pan-fry them in 1/2 inch of oil (at which point they're often called corn oysters) or deep fry them for a more rounded, almost doughnut-like fritter. They're very good either way. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker,

This is how my mother always made them, and I have for yearsSmiley Happy

1 can corn (regular size), drained.

1 or 2 eggs. I like just 1

because

2 makes it more cakey.

1/4 cup flour or more. Batter shouldn't be watery, a little thick but pourable.

so use your judgement there.

1/4 tsp salt

2 tbsp melted butter

mix it all together and scoop a generous big spoonful, about 2 inches or more diameter into a hot 

pan. I use butter (or margarine) and a little bit of oil which keeps the butter from burning).

You can turn them after you see the edges get a little done. I sometimes flatten them with the spatula a little so they are crispy. They should turn out golden brown, crispy but not dry.

And as many recipes, you can do this by experimenting so you really don't even need to use the recipe after a few tries.

It's really neat that your mother made them too:💞

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Certain areas of my fridge will freeze things if placed in those areas.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Frozen eggs

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

sorry about the eggs interestingly I had 4 frozen eggs in the dish today🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️.  But, not like you my fridge is totally unorganized right now...

but good thing I know what I'm making this week your recipe & @on the bay recipe for the cornfritters.  Thank you!!!

Respected Contributor

@gardenman @on the bay Thank you both so much for taking the time to write out your recipes.  Soon, I hope to try each and will let you know how they turn out.  They both seem similar to what my mom made -- no fancy ingredients.