Respected Contributor

Can celery, fresh basil and parsley be frozen?  If so, how?

Thank you. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Freezing Things

[ Edited ]

I do not know about celery but maybe if you cut it up in small pieces.  But I have frozen the others  many times.

I just put them in a plastic bag or container and freeze.........

Esteemed Contributor

@coffee drinker - Yes, you can definitely freeze fresh herbs: Rinse them, blot them dry with a paper towel, arrange them in a single layer on a rimmed pan, and place in the freezer for an hour or so. When they are frozen, separate them into labeled freezer bags and get as much air out as you can. Next time you need them, you don't even need to thaw before using. (You can also look online for instructions on how to freeze herbs in a water or oil mixture using ice cube trays, but I've found that process to be quite tedious, and if you're not making pesto, it seems less effective.)

As for celery, you can freeze it, but when thawed, it gets soft and is best for use in soups or mirepoix or something where crispiness is not desired.

Honored Contributor

I have never successfully frozen celery, but you can extend its life if you wrap the stalk carefully in aluminum foil.  I remove it from the plastic bag and whack off the leafy top section.  I wrap that in one sheet of foil and use it for soups, for a bed for baking chicken, etc.  The rest of the stalk I wrap in another larger sheet of foil.   Although I live alone, now that I store the celery in foil in the veggie drawer, there's almost never spoilage.

I do freeze basil and parsley -  not as wonderful as clipping it fresh, but definitely usable.

Honored Contributor

I didn't believe this and never thought I would purchase Debbie Meyer "green" containers.  I finally did (because she offered them in purple) and they keep vegetables, herbs and fruit fresh for a long time.  I had parsley in one for many weeks and usually it doesn't last nearly that long.  Same for carrots, zucchini, etc--really adds time to the freshness.    I don't use them for freezing, but just in fridge.  

Contributor

I have never froze celery except when it was cooked in soups or sauces.  I have froze fresh basil and fresh parsley from my summer garden.  I pick bunches of basil stick them in a Ziploc bag and roll the bag to get all the air out of it before I close it. I do the same with the fresh parsley.  I store all the Ziploc bags in a lock and lock container and it works for me.  I still have frozen basil and parsley from last year's garden and it's still good.  I hope you have good luck like I did.

Honored Contributor

I always freeze celery. After I cut it up I put on a cookie sheet with parchment paper on it. After it gets frozen I vacuum seal in a couple smaller bags.

I have onions, celery, different peppers cut up in the freezer. It makes it easier when I cook something that needs those ingredients. 

celery.JPG

Valued Contributor

I freeze celery all of the time.  I dice it and put it in a food saver bag with a clip on it.  When it is frozen I just seal the bag shut.  I only use the celery for chili and other recipes that I cook.  It's my personal preference not to use it in macaroni or potato salad because it is a little limp so to speak.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your responses.  This is my first successful attempt growing basil and parsley.  I almost don't want to snip the plants, but will take your suggestions for freezing.

@millieshops I have wrapped celery in aluminum foil and it's been successful, but doesn't last too long.  Gets limp and brown.