Honored Contributor

Need some suggestions for cleaning a badly burned pan

I've seen theads on here, but I never paid much attention because I was always able to bail myself out.  Well, not this time.  I was softening some onions, celery and carrots in a stainless steel Farberware pan in canola oil.  Somehow I turned the stove on Hi instead of Low.  By the time the smell hit me that mess was fused to the bottom of the pan.  I soaked it overnight and put it into the dishwasher.  Didn't work.  So it's soaking out on the porch again.  Can I add something to the water or do I just throw out the pan?  

Super Contributor

Re: Need some suggestions for cleaning a badly burned pan

I've tried this a few times and it worked. I boil water with baking soda to a rolling boil for several minutes and then let it soak overnight. I got this tip from my mother and her answer for how much baking soda (or anything else) was always the standard just a handful.

I hope this will work for you.

Respected Contributor

Try cleaning it with a steel wool soap pad.  If that doesn't work you can spray it with oven cleaner.  Do this outside on newspaper.  I would hate to throw out a SS pot.

Respected Contributor

Baking soda overnight

Frequent Contributor

I have had good luck removing such messes by putting a couple of tablespoons of powder Cascade with about an inch of water in the bottom of the pan. Bring it to a boil and then down to a simmer. Keep watching it and use a spatula to scrape off the black burned bits that will start floating to the surface. Add more water if that level gets too low. If necessary repeat the process. Avoid the dry cycle in the dishwasher until the pan is clean.  The heat in the drying cycle can set the mess.

Honored Contributor

I also had badly burned something in my Faberware stainless steel pan. And I used every remedy I could find on line. I think the baking soda in addition to several other methods made it shine again.

And looking at the pan today, I can not tell what a burned mess it once was. No need to throw it out - it will come clean.

Respected Contributor

After soaking and scraping off as much as you can, use Bartender's Friend on it.  It will take a little elbow grease but it works and your pan is like new.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I've seen theads on here, but I never paid much attention because I was always able to bail myself out.  Well, not this time.  I was softening some onions, celery and carrots in a stainless steel Farberware pan in canola oil.  Somehow I turned the stove on Hi instead of Low.  By the time the smell hit me that mess was fused to the bottom of the pan.  I soaked it overnight and put it into the dishwasher.  Didn't work.  So it's soaking out on the porch again.  Can I add something to the water or do I just throw out the pan?  

Cream of tartar with some boiling water and let it sit 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass 

Soak with very hot water & baking soda.  Depending on size of pan a good handful or at least 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup.  Just let it soak and should clean most of it up.  I use this same method for glass bakeware, baking dishes, baking pans too!  May need a little scrubbing...I use Barkeeper's Friend...it comes both in powder & liquid form.  Let us know how you make out!  😊   I love Farberware stainless...now have 2 full sets, mine & all my Mom's pieces.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I had a friend up in Ind. who left bacon in the skillet while she took a call, forgot about it and burned house down. Curtains caught on fire, etc.

If phone rings while I'm doing something I turn off the stove, period