Honored Contributor

Freezing Peanut Butter Candy Pinwheels

I love peanut butter candy pinwheels.  There's a place that makes them locally for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but you have to buy the whole role.  I live by myself and couldn't possibly eat the whole roll, because they're so rich.  Can they be frozen?  I have a feeling you can't freeze peanut butter but wanted to check.  

892F90EC-0568-4A53-9596-94CC9B73DA12.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Re: Freezing Peanut Butter Candy Pinwheels

@NickNack @Rather than freezing, could you slice the roll of candy and place in a cookie tin.  Then keep the tin in your refrigerator? It should last a long time stored this way.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack   Are these the ones made with Irish potatoes?  If so, I don't see why not.  But, I would not keep them for long.  I have made the Irish potato/peanut butter candy logs and frozen them but I had children and they did not last long frozen or otherwise at my house.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@NickNack   Are these the ones made with Irish potatoes?  If so, I don't see why not.  But, I would not keep them for long.  I have made the Irish potato/peanut butter candy logs and frozen them but I had children and they did not last long frozen or otherwise at my house.

@Nonametoday   I've seen recipes where they made them with potatoes.  I think usually they're made with cream, butter and powdered sugar though (and peanut butter, of course).  It's good to know that you've frozen them though.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Deb665 wrote:

@NickNack @Rather than freezing, could you slice the roll of candy and place in a cookie tin.  Then keep the tin in your refrigerator? It should last a long time stored this way.

@Deb665   What I've always done is store the candy in zip-lock bags in the refrigerator.  Do you think they would stay fresh longer in a cookie tin than zip lock bags?  They just don't stay great for a long time that way.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

@NickNack @Why not put them in zip lock bags, and then put the bag in a tin?  Or, slice only enough to eat in a few days, and roll the rest of the log in plastic then place the roll in a zip lock?  It just might be that a larger portion might keep better than slices.  

Honored Contributor

@NickNack.  Why don't you contact the place where you buy them and ask for their recommendation?  This must be a local specialty ' cause I've never heard of this type of candy.  Often when frozen sweets are thawed the excess moisture causes them to become soggy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I make them every once in a while.  I have never frozen them, cause they don't last that long around here.

They are made with powdered sugar, butter, milk and vanilla and peanut butter.  I no longer make the mashed potato version.

I would probably wrap them in Saran Wrap and store airtight in the fridge.  they should keep well refrigerated.

To keep them for more than a week or two, I think freezing would be okay.  My DH would eat them frozen.

Honored Contributor

This is originally known as Potato Candy. If made with just confectionary sugar, they freeze as well as peanut butter balls. I don't freeze ours because it is made with a small boiled potato, but lasts weeks in the refrigerator.
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  Now you have done it!!!!   I have never heard of  or seen this candy. I want to try it, now if only I can find it.  I'm sure I could find a recipe but DD doesn't like PB and I don't need a whole batch just for me.

That looks so good.  My Mom would have loved it, she loved her sweets.