Honored Contributor

Re: For those who eat canned soup

@house_cat   I think the soup shaming comes from the sodium content in canned, and frozen store bought and reaturant soups.

People with high blood pressure and heart and kidney disease are supposed to avoid as much salt as possible.

This can be difficult because there is salt in almost everything, even if you don't add any.

All vegetables, dairy, meat and shell fish have sodium in it naturally....so most people who eat these items get enough.  Sodium is important.  We all need it, but too much can lead to bad outcomes for those with certain issues.

It serves no purpose to take your meds then eat too much salt.  Even in moderation too often, it causes damage.

If you are healthy, excessive salt in moderation not everyday, probably won't do you any harm, but for those who are supposed to avoid it, it can lead to a stroke and even death.

I am super senstitive to salt.  There are many things that I won't eat or drink because it tastes too salty. I can't even drink a Coke, it tastes salty to me.  Forget about Gatorade....yuck!

I have a colonoscopy coming up next month.  The prep is going to be a issue for me.  I am planning to mix Miralax with water because all those electrolyte drinks are way too salty...gross.  The doctor is not pleased...too bad.  He will get over it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 I like to have some canned soups on hand, for, as you say, that occasional night you just want something quick you don't have to make from scratch. And I love soups...whether I make them or they are canned. I always have liked Progresso soups. I also like Amy's soups...which have gone up a lot in recent years, pretty much doubled in price...and hardly ever catch them on sale. She has some good lentil soup options too. And some good low sodium options.

Lentils are SO good for you. I make my own lentil soups, both Mediterranean (my aunt's recipe) and regular (Barefoot Contessa's), but those canned versions are just as delicious in a pinch. Also, closeby to me is a great farmer's market, and they make fresh soups daily sold in quarts...they make a great Lentil soup I buy often. Some in my fridge now! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Our favorite canned soups are Campbell's Chicken and Rice and Campbell's Vegetable Beef.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  I have a colonoscopy coming up next month.  The prep is going to be a issue for me.  I am planning to mix Miralax with water because all those electrolyte drinks are way too salty...gross.  The doctor is not pleased...too bad.  He will get over it.

Just a thought--if the colon is not properly "cleaned out" the colonoscopy will be inconclusive and a waste of time.  I speak from experience.  Does your doctor know of your aversion to salt and can he prescribe another method of "cleansing"??

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I know that it is not the healthiest option, however it is nice to have some on hand for a quick lunch . today I tried Progresso Mediterranean lentil soup, It was delicious . It contained 24 grams of protein if that is important to you, also in addition to lentils it contained chick peas. If this doesn't work for you I get it, just a  good , quick option.

@QVCkitty1 We use it to put with canned low-sodium tomatoes or other leftover beans, broccoli, carrots or other cooked veggies we happen to have in the fridge!  It's very good for an in-a-hurry meal. 

Respected Contributor

Progresso changed over the years - the last time i had a can of the wedding soup i threw it out.  i have a can of Amys in the pantryand i do like the pea soup, the low sodium version is ok in a pinch.  

the recommended daily sodium allowance is less than 2300 mg which is about a teaspoon of table salt.

here we have to monitor the salt intake and i'm used to it now.   i am so sick and dry like the Sahhara after eating foods with high sodium so that cuts out most convenience foods.

Honored Contributor

@amyb 

I agree about Amy's brand soups. Their lentil is probably the best canned version I've had, but it is expensive and I have never seen it on sale.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 

My doctor readily approves Miralax and Gatorade for colon cleansing.  I am not one of those people who needs industrial strength laxatives to thoroughly empty my colon for the scoping.  

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@QVCkitty1 

Unfortunately canned soup seems to be a controversial topic around here.  I've noticed a lot of "soup shaming" over the years.

As my mom always said, "Everything in moderation".

Having said that, I have an easy and very economical recipe for delicious lentil soup. It's one of the easiest soups to make and the recipe yeilds MANY servings. When I make it, I divide it into small L&L containers and freeze it, then pull out one at a time as needed.

If you are interested, the recipe is from "Laura in the Kitchen".

Also, heads up for those of us who shop at Publix.  This week they are having a BOGO on Progresso soups. 2/21 - 2/27.  I guess the offer might vary depending where you live.

@house_cat , I titled  my post the way I did to keep the  subject  away  from "soup shaming ."  It doesn't always work. 🤦‍♀️

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 

Your post was appreciated by those of us who enjoy having tasty products like this on our shelves for convenience.