Respected Contributor

Re: Food names - regional differences?

Very interesting about "pokes". I've often used the phrase "buying a pig in a poke" (knowing it means buying something unseen on blind chance), but I never did know where the poke thing came from.

Thanks for explaining something I've been saying for years.  Heh.....now I actually know what I was talking about.

Honored Contributor

When very young, I remember our "pop" was the south's "soda", it was 2 different languages! LOL Other than that, I don't recall a lot of differences in all our moves. Guess we got lucky.

But the first time I ever went up north (MI) and they mentioned "pasties" I was really confused. LOL

Respected Contributor

Man I haven't heard the word muskmelon for decades.  I apparently lost that when I moved south.

Roquefort dressing, no one around here has a clue what it is.  You must order blue cheese.

Pop is what I call it.  Soda sounds funny to me.

Slushburgers, I refuse to call them sloppy joes.  Smiley Happy

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I just remembered one! When I lived in NY, black and whites were my favorite cookie. Here in Los Angeles, black and whites are police cars!

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

I'm a California native, and when I was growing up we called pasta either spaghetti or macaroni. Macaroni was just substituted for pasta with the same sauce.

We call Macaroni Salad - Macaroni Salad - never just Macaroni. I think many of these differences can be a family or cultural thing, also.

My Italian hubby says hamburger meat; I say hamburger.

He also says CLOSE the light instead of shut off the light...always thought that was interesting; maybe that's a language thing, because his parents were from Italy and spoke Italian at home?

I love all the differences, but I guess they could be confusing if you're going somewhere out of state, etc.

In France, my daughter ordered French toast and got sliced toast with butter and jelly...haha! She thought she would be getting the original from France... Guess she did lol

Anti-pasta is usually just a plate of sliced meats and veggies (when did I start saying veggies?) My Italian in-laws made a jarred anti-pasta in a sauce with LOTS more veggies than sauce. It was sooo good!!

Respected Contributor

Back in the day, I can remember "Best Foods in the West, Hellmans in the East".

Honored Contributor

Coca Cola is "pop" in Buffalo (and Canada.) 90 minutes down the Thruway in Rochester, it's "soda".

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Back in the day, I can remember "Best Foods in the West, Hellmans in the East".

Still the same.  Arnold bread is Orowheat out here and don't bother looking for Entenman's cake here - all they have is donuts.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

In Northeast PA, we drank soda to wash down hoagies we made with cold cuts as well as trays of pizza, hot dogs and hamburgs, and hot wings.  We put sprinkles on our ice cream and visited the beer garden if you wanted to get drunk (and if you drank too much, you could end up in the corpse house).  At the church picnics, you'd eat potato pancakes, cotton floss, and halushki. 

Respected Contributor

housecat, Entenemans sells a LOT more than donuts here in So Cal! You may not be going to the right store- Also, they have a killer outlet in El Segundo on Aviiation Blvd...spend $10 and gt a loaf of bread free...