Valued Contributor

I just bought a food saver a few days ago and the instructions say to par boil veggies before sealing them? Do you all do that? That seems like a lot of work and also introduces moisture into the bag. It would take a long time to dry out par boiled vegetables before sealing. I'd like to know how many of you who use a foodsaver actually par boil first? Is it really necessary?

Honored Contributor

Nope I don't do it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

This is the reason why you blanch vegetables before freezing:

Blanching slows or stops the action of enzymes which cause loss of flavor, color and texture. Blanching cleanses the surface of dirt and organisms, brightens the color and helps retard loss of vitamins. Blanching also wilts or softens vegetables and makes them easier to pack.

It may not matter if you aren't going to keep them in the freezer long.

Respected Contributor

@tdog wrote:

I just bought a food saver a few days ago and the instructions say to par boil veggies before sealing them? Do you all do that? That seems like a lot of work and also introduces moisture into the bag. It would take a long time to dry out par boiled vegetables before sealing. I'd like to know how many of you who use a foodsaver actually par boil first? Is it really necessary?

I haven't for years.  Although the moisture wouldn't be that big of a deal if you did.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Valued Contributor

Thanks. I think I will eliminate the blanching step!!

Honored Contributor

Been using a Foodsaver for over 10 years, and I no longer cook or even blanch veggies before sealing for the freezer. To me, it just makes them mushier, when it is time to put them to use.

A good cleaning and cutting up the way you will use them is warranted, but I dont' like the results when they have been heated in any way.