Honored Contributor

Re: First QVC kitchen item I've ever returned.

That was 'icegoddess ' that talked about a wooden spoon not me.

Only time I use a wooden spoon is to stir fudge LOL

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE - Yep, I misinterpreted the tags in the quoted material—updated to reference @Icegoddess instead.

I used to use wooden spoons a lot, but I guess I'm too strong because they broke fairly frequently; now silicone spatulas/spoonulas are my best friends, especially for fudge!  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

True !

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc : Thank you for the information. I need a big cheat sheet with big letters  for the kitchen because having trouble remembering everything. Southern Bee 

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee - I think this issue is likely more about tradition rather than remembering anything; my mother has always covered her boiling pots and continues to do so and experience occasional boil-overs despite us discussing this subject—it's just the way she's always done things. She is a fantastic cook, so I don't share tips (i.e., "tell her what to do") very often...  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I'm seldom happy when I take the plunge and buy something silicone.  

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc 

It just finally occurred to me that you are not one of the QVC mods! Duh!  I can be so dense sometimes.

Have a nice day :-)

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@loriqvc 

It just finally occurred to me that you are not one of the QVC mods! Duh!  I can be so dense sometimes.

Have a nice day :-)

@house_cat - I'll take that as a compliment—I think the mods are great!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised.  I always list this item when someone asks for favorite QVC items.  I'm one that always boiled over the pasta.  Now I don't have to spend time cleaning up the mess on the glass top.  

Respected Contributor

Some of my most-used kitchen items are  two small and two large silicone splatter guards, but use them only in the microwave to reheat certain things.

Got them in the kitchen dept. at Bloomingdale's years ago--and they weren't cheap like many seen today.

They seem a little sturdier than some  promoted on TV. 

Turned upside down over a bowl of something, their ridged design allows just enough steam to escape  to avoid boilover.

Used right-side-up to supposedly seal a bowl  of food for fridge storage, they don't work as advertised.  Won't sit firmly on the rim for more than a minute.

A little off-topic here, but I never cover a pot of boiling pasta, so never have boil-overs.  I didn't think lids SHOULD be used when boiling pasta, but could be wrong.

Recently saw  a useful tip for cooking pasta and have begun using it.  Don't boil  pasta that will be used in a casserole to the "al dente" (slightly firmer stage), and instead cook it longer.  Soft pasta won't over-absorb the casserole sauce and become dried out, especially if reheating will be done for leftovers.