Honored Contributor

First QVC kitchen item I've ever returned.

I recently received the silicone spill stoppers. They are silicone covers to prevent boil-overs.  They did prevent the pot from boiling over, but they are floppy and very difficult to use. If you want to stir or peek into the pot they collapse and fall into the liquid. It was a sloppy situation and totally not worth the money.  

I've purchased a lot of things that turned out to be useless or not worth the money, but these are the first I've ever shipped back. 

(This pic was snatched from Amazon. I no longer see them available on the QVC site.)

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 5.55.37 AM.png

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: First QVC kitchen item I've ever returned.

I saw them demo'ed on one of the shows.  They looked like a really good product.  Thanks for your review Im glad I did not order them.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I saw them demo'ed on one of the shows.  They looked like a really good product.  Thanks for your review Im glad I did not order them.

I just wrote a review and I can see that most of the reviewers are happy with them.  However, I needed tongs to get them off the pot, and still nearly scalded myself because the silicone inverted itself, causing the hot liquid to splash.  I'm not sure if I'm describing it clearly, but I was very disappointed with this product, and they were not inexpensive.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I use mine daily, love it !

Got mine at Bed & Bath.

KUHN Rikon

take off burner and see how close the macroni is to getting done, etc

can't raise the lid while it's cooking or it will boil over

Honored Contributor

@SharkE : Thank you, will check this out. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

I bought these years ago from QVC.  Did not like at all.  You cannot stir your pasta (or whatever) without removing it and you cannot see how things are coming along.  Waste of money for me.  I didn't get "smart" in time to return.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got mine quite a few years ago from QVC, mine is blue, and used it just last night while boiling ziti. My entire microwave above the stove top gets covered in steam including the door and the control panel if I don't use it even with the fan on high. And using the lid of the pot the water still boils up and lifts the lid and spills out. This thing keeps the steam only escaping thru the center flower shaped part and going right up into the microwave exhaust. The "petals" lift up and let the steam escape.

HOWEVER, tis true that you have to be very careful when checking your food if you don't want either of the mentioned problems to happen, having it fall in the pot and getting splashed and burned or getting your wrist steam burnt. I use either two pairs of tongs to lift it off or sometimes one pair of tongs and the tine of a large serving fork thru the other loop to lift it off to check my pasta. Putting it back on the pot is no problem.

I am kind of surprised that it's still on the market considering how easily you can get burned especially the first time using it and not realizing what can happen. When I got mine I also got one for one of my sons who likes to cook. He tossed his in his garbage after getting steam burned the first time he used it.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl 

Thank you for taking the time to post.  You said it much more clearly than I had.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just raise the lid AWAY from you. LOL

Take off burner

raise lid with fork thru the holder hole and raise it sideways.

Honored Contributor

better then having a pot of beans or something like boiling potatoes or mac and cheese boil over and burns your glass cooktop and now you got to wait till it cools down and scrub the **** out of that mess.