Contributor

I'm a New York City gal and thought I'd try Q's filet mignons.  Rastelli or Kansas City?

Esteemed Contributor

Suggestion........NEITHER

There must be a good butcher in New York City.  Martha S got so many bad reviews about her roast............Some reviews said it (roast) spoiled their holiday dinner it was so bad.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Suggestion........NEITHER

There must be a good butcher in New York City.  Martha S got so many bad reviews about her roast............Some reviews said it (roast) spoiled their holiday dinner it was so bad.

@fthunt  That’s funny, I read some posts on here that her dinners were good. There are good butchers in NYC. The one Martha uses is one of them. 

I am just going by what I read on these forums, not first hand experience.

Respected Contributor

Kansas City

Trusted Contributor

I've never had Rastellis, but Kansas City are flavorless. Waste of money. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sams club or Costco would be a good place to buy fillets. I prefer sams club for fillet mignon.

Esteemed Contributor

@janiemay  Rastelli has a store in New Jersey (sorry not sure what town).  It's possible they supply some grocers in the NYC area as well.  Honestly, I stopped cooking meat in my home several years ago, so I have not tried Rastelli unless it was served to me on the East Coast  and I was not aware of it.  My previous exerience with Kansas City was favorable.  The cuts are lean, so without the fat flavor is reduced, so some may feel the need to add extra seasoning and flavor enhancements to the meat. 

Super Contributor

I live in NYC and I buy my filet mignon medallions at CostCo and they are excellent -- fork tender and flavorful.

Honored Contributor

I buy a whole tenderloin at the grocery store when it's on sale and cut my own and freeze. Easy enough and often sell than the cost of a rib eye per pound!!!

Respected Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@janiemay  Rastelli has a store in New Jersey (sorry not sure what town).  It's possible they supply some grocers in the NYC area as well.  Honestly, I stopped cooking meat in my home several years ago, so I have not tried Rastelli unless it was served to me on the East Coast  and I was not aware of it.  My previous exerience with Kansas City was favorable.  The cuts are lean, so without the fat flavor is reduced, so some may feel the need to add extra seasoning and flavor enhancements to the meat. 

I buy Rastelli's and their pork and beef are very tender and good. Try them.