Esteemed Contributor

Re: Favorite Low Carb meals, What do you eat???

I make stir fry! Ground meat of your choice, chopped vegetables of your choice, cook until the meat is done and add fish sauce. Top with kale. My typical recipe:

1 package of lean ground turkey

2 bell peppers, different colors

1 onion

Asparagus tips

2 tablespoons fish sauce

Kale

Heat a large skillet

Add turkey

While the turkey is cooking, dice the vegetables

Break the turkey apart and add the vegetables

Stir and let cook for 10 minutes

Add fish sauce

Stir

Top with kale

The dish is done when the kale wilts

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

Check out Suzanne Somers' Fast n Easy book. My favs- Tex Mex pork chops, minestrone soup, Chicken dijon. Skip the spinach bread.

Regular Contributor

I made a "potato" salad but used cauliflower instead of potato.

I steamed raw cauliflower with chicken broth. Once tender I tossed it with low fat mayo and put it in the fridge for about an hour or so. After an hour I added chopped boiled egg, chopped green onions, and a little salt. Then just before serving I added slices of hot pan fried sausage (I used one from Trader Joe's that is some type of Korean bar-b-q flavor). It was delicious!!! I was thinking that I could add bacon instead of sausage as well. In doing this recipe I was trying to make a low carb version of German potato salad. I didn't even miss the potato and it was filling and satisfying! Now this may not be new to some but cooking this way was very new to me as I'm trying to eat healthier this year. This and the cauliflower (flour less pizza) have been hits for me in 2015.

Esteemed Contributor

Broccoli salad would work also.

Respected Contributor

I forgot about Broccoli Salad!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/1/2015 HonnyBrown said:

I make stir fry! Ground meat of your choice, chopped vegetables of your choice, cook until the meat is done and add fish sauce. Top with kale. My typical recipe:

1 package of lean ground turkey

2 bell peppers, different colors

1 onion

Asparagus tips

2 tablespoons fish sauce

Kale

Heat a large skillet

Add turkey

While the turkey is cooking, dice the vegetables

Break the turkey apart and add the vegetables

Stir and let cook for 10 minutes

Add fish sauce

Stir

Top with kale

The dish is done when the kale wilts

I made this tonight with ground chicken, frozen bell pepper strips and garlic powder. I also added poultry seasoning.

DH LOVED it!

Not low carb, but I made a side of brown rice jasmine seasoned with poultry seasoning. It had a very take out taste without the grease.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

Although I like them, I've never been a person that eats a lot of bread and potatoes. I prefer veggies and proteins, but my biggest carb indulgence is pasta. If you are watching your carbs, a snack I enjoy is lettuce wraps, using baby butter lettuce leaves in place of tortillas or taco shells. You can fill them with anything from grilled chicken or steak to seafood or slices of deli meat. Top it with a little salsa for a flavor boost. You could also use kale or cabbage leaves in place of lettuce. Make cabbage rolls or stuffed grape leaves. If you love pasta, try zucchini strips as a substitute for spaghetti or fettuccine. The recipes mentioned here all sound really good, got some new ideas myself.

Honored Contributor

I use CarbQuick instead of Bisquick to make all kinds of things biscuits, dumplings, crusts, etc. with almost no carbs ...I have not found it in stores here but you can check their website for your area. I order it on netrition.com. They have lots of low carb products and good forums for recipes, etc. Dreamfields pasta is also a great sub with only 5 carbs per serving.....QVC sold Dreamfields many years ago but now it is in many grocery stores......Walmart sells it here .
Trusted Contributor

A good source of low-carb recipes is "Kalyn's Kitchen". She's a food blogger - her recipes are South Beach, original, and always good.

Super Contributor

Cauliflower risotto with sautéed mushrooms! Mmm Another tip that I just learned a year in(and 70 pounds lighter)rye bread is low carb!