Honored Contributor

Those who own the egg cooker...

How long do you cook your poached eggs? When I first cooked mine they were too runny on the whites so I tried a bit longer and the yolks were hard. I want thoroughly cooked whites with runny yolks. I am wasting a lot of eggs trying to find the right formula.

Super Contributor

Re: Those who own the egg cooker...

Are you talking about the Mark Miselli or whatever his name is, small domed egg cooker? I wasn't happy with poached eggs made in the cooker, but for hard boiled eggs you cannot beat it. The eggs peel so easily. It's the only way I make boiled eggs now, but I don't bother trying to poach eggs in it because I don't think it does a good job.

Valued Contributor

On 2/3/2015 LolaMontez said:

Are you talking about the Mark Miselli or whatever his name is, small domed egg cooker? I wasn't happy with poached eggs made in the cooker, but for hard boiled eggs you cannot beat it. The eggs peel so easily. It's the only way I make boiled eggs now, but I don't bother trying to poach eggs in it because I don't think it does a good job.

Same here. Great for hard boiled but I have not been able to get any other kind of eggs to work. Looking forward to hearing from people who have!

Honored Contributor

I have one that looks exactly like it under another name and because I buy Jumbo eggs, I had to play with the water/time ratio to get it right for poached and soft boiled eggs.

I think it also has to do with how cold your eggs are before they go in. I keep my refrigerator very cold, so my eggs are starting at a much colder temperature than the average egg, too.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I use mine just until the white firms. The yellow is just slightly thick. You have to get the right combo as the other poster said.

Esteemed Contributor

It's great for hard boiled. I've given up on poached eggs in that thing.

We just head for a restaurant if I don't feel like cooking poached the old-fashioned way (almost never! lol)

Honored Contributor

My DH really likes poached eggs so I would like to master them if I can. Tonight I made some hard boiled ones - they were great and peeled very easily.

Respected Contributor

Does it call for a certain specific size of egg? jumbo, extra large, medium, etc? I would think that would make huge difference in the outcome...

Honored Contributor

The instructions for mine say ""large"" eggs. Which I think is what most people buy. I am from the Ina Garten school of eggs. Bigger is better ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

I poach eggs in one of those little Mark Charles Misilli oval silicone steamers in the microwave. I put about 2/3 C water in it, drop an egg in the water and cover the steamer. 1 minute 39 seconds later my poached egg is done. By the time I've drained it with a slotted spoon my toast has popped up. . .perfect!