Frequent Contributor

FREE SHIPPING AND HANDLING ON ALL FOOD??

I was looking at the new food items being shown online,  and item M117364, Kansas City Ham Steaks(6 8oz hamsteaks) lists the price at $54.95 with shipping and handling of $5.95. The other new items from Kansas City Steaks had free shipping and handling, so I am wondering if a mistake, or a new trend of adding S&H to certain items.  It is lower than the standard shipping charge on Kansas City's website. Not that I need the sodium!!

Honored Contributor

Re: FREE SHIPPING AND HANDLING ON ALL FOOD??

I just looked at that item and it says S&H of $5.50.  If that's the way things are going to go, I'll be ordering less food, as S&H is taxable in my state and food isn't (unless it's "luxuries", like cake, cookies, etc.).

I know some will say the cost of S&H has already been built into the price of those with "free S&H", but at least I don't have to pay tax on those!

Honored Contributor

That doesn't sound right.  Call customer service.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never noticed some food products had S&H, and as another poster stated, my state also charges tax on S&H. The 870mg sodium per 3oz serving is excessive; a 3oz serving is small for ham and I would eat probably a 5-6oz portion.  My health requirement max is 1100mg sodium/per day so this ham would be off my menu due to unhealthy level of sodium!   AHA recommends sat fat max per day 11-13mg based on 2000calorie/day (AHA), this 3oz portion is 10mg.

Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove- Wow.  I hadn't looked at the nutrional info.  That amount of sodium is off the charts for one ham steak.

If you ate the whole thing, you'd have 2320 mg of sodium and about 100% of the daily recommended amount.  I'd only eat half of one of the steaks, but that's still excessive.

Frequent Contributor

As other poster stated, I too am on a restricted sodium diet.  You really have to look at food nutrition labels.  It is "amazing" how much sodium is in foods, fastfoods, frozen dinners and restaurant meals.  Every now and then MSN will post nutritional values of different restaurant meals and it is jaw dropping to say the least when it comes to fat and sodium content.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia  Oh yes, it is quite high.  And if you look at some of the other nutritionals of food offerings, you will be quite surprised at the sodium content.  I know full well added sodium in frozen prepared foods are to preserve, enchance, etc. so that accounts for some, but much is excessive.  I must watch my nutritionals religiously due to health reasons so I check everything and much of what I would love to have, I simply cannot. Many nutritionals are very complete adding other ingredients like potassium and phosphorus, which some of us need, but many nutritional labels are just using the mandatory requirements by FDA and USDA. "...The label begins with a standard serving measurement, calories are listed second, and then following is a breakdown of the constituent elements. Always listed are total fat, sodium, carbohydrates and protein; the other nutrients usually shown may be suppressed, if they are zero. Usually all 15 nutrients are shown: calories, calories from fat, fat, saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, sodium, carbohydrates, dietary fiber, sugars, protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and iron...."

One thing about these "easy" meals which should be wonderful for shutins and/or the elderly is the high sodium content which is extremely unhealthy.  Many do not have access to online information, so they are just not aware!

Respected Contributor

If this is not a mistake, my thoughts go in direction of perhaps smoked meat not requiring the dry ice and therefore shipping regular ground. Not interested but hope it is a mistake for those who are. My state also taxes shipping.
Valued Contributor

I saw free shipping on food so often that I began to think it was some kind of law the Q couldn't get around, lol.

Honored Contributor

If the $5.50 is important to you, you should call Customer Service.  It's possible that it is a mistake.