Super Contributor

Re: Expired spices - what a huge waste of money.

@Desertdi wrote:

Unless they have bugs, I keep them

It is a waste of money to chuck them.  Just take a wiff and if they smell fine then don't get rid of them.  I have a container of Dill I bought from an Amish market years ago and it is still good.  I made just the other day homemade ranch dressing with it and it is ok.  When these spices are sitting in a dark, dry cabinet they are fine.  HTH!! 

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck on your move, @house_cat !  May you have lots  of happiness and fresh herbs and spices in the new place.

I'm pretty regular with my usage and try to keep up with my spice needs from Penzeys, so I find I don't have too much waste.  Getting a new L&L set soon so I think I will have fun storing things in a new way!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

IMG_3263.JPG

I went through my spice drawer in preparation for a move and trashed all the spices that were out of date.  Most of them were nearly full.  What a huge waste of money.  Do you bother to buy a spice if you might only use it once or twice?  I might have to consider that next time I try a new recipe.

@house_cat 

The best advice I've ever read about spices was this .....  unless you use something several times a week, buy the smallest size available and 'inventory" your spices regularly ... 2 or 3 times a year. 

Of course, we all know that if something says to "use by" July 2021, it doesn't automatically lose all potency on August 1st, but buying smaller sizes seems to make the most sense to me for how I use them.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

For spices you rarely use you have the option to freeze them.  Basil, chives, tarragon, cilantro, dill and parsley are just a few of the herbs that freeze well. Some whole spices such as nutmeg retain their flavor for five years in the freezer.

Spices you use regularly should be stored in dark, dry places.  You can purchase a variety of spice racks for storing spices if you have room for them.

You can also grow herbs in container pots for minimal cost.  I do this every year for basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, etc.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I only have 5, count em, 5 spices.  When they expire, I replace them with a new bottle.  I'm not much of a cook.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

The last time I moved I was shocked at how many spices I had and what their expiration dates were.  Since then, nearly seven years ago, I have a minimal number of spices.  I will not purchase a spice I know I probably will not use, so it can languish alone on a shelf.  I do "extend" the expiration dates by warming or even hand rubbing.  

Valued Contributor

One doesn't HAVE to discard expired spices. If I have an expired spice and it's what the recipe calls for, I just use a bit more of the spice than is called for to make up for any potential loss of flavor. I haven't tested it, but I'd bet money that if you did what I do and did taste test of two dishes, one using "in date" spice and one using a bit more out of date spice, NO ONE would notice the difference in the finished dishes.

Some stores do sell spices in plastic bags and you determine how much or how little of a spice you want.

Honored Contributor

I use mine. Usually add a bit more. 

Frequent Contributor

Check the Goya section of your grocery store.  They have small bags of spices.  Some of them can be 99 cents. Great to try out a new recipe.