Respected Contributor

Re: Expired spices - what a huge waste of money.

I had the same problem so now I buy Mark's Trading Spices, they're sold in small zip lock bags 0.2 to 0.5 & cost .69 to $1.39. 

Honored Contributor

This from McCormick

The Shelf Life of Spices

Here’s a rough guideline on the life of those seasonings in your kitchen:

Indefinite: Vanilla extract, salt, and that's about it. (Other extracts will fade in 2-3 years).

Whole spices (unground, such as peppercorns, whole allspice, caraway seeds, and more): 3-4 years

Ground spices (such as cumin, ginger, paprika and chili powder): 2-4 years

Ground and whole leafy herbs such as basil, oregano, rosemary and most seasoning blends: 1-3 years

All of us have a few jars that have been sitting in the pantry for over a decade. It’s okay to let these spices go.

Honored Contributor

We have a lot of spices, but then we use a lot of spices, so we don't really have many that just sit there.  

And we have a big herb garden, so those get used too.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

I did the same now I buy spices in these small packets found next to the spices.  They are much cheaper for maybe the few times I might use them.  Everyday spices I buy full size jars.

I write date bought on bottom so I really know how long I've had them. 

Spices aren't my problem but cake decorating sugars & sprinkles.  The beginning of the year I sorted 2 drawers of them tossed so many.  Now, I only have limited selection and buy when needed.

I store my spices and cake supplies in Lock N Lock spice containers.  Love them!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat - I belong to a cookbook group. Each month we pick a book, make the recipes, and gather together to eat and discuss. 

In order to follow the recipe 100% I sometimes buy spices I'm not sure I'll use again. But I always make a point to find another recipe that calls for that particular spice!   Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I prefer fresh herbs.  Dried herbs usually have stronger flavor, so I increase the ratio of 1 teaspoon dried to 1 Tablespoon fresh. 

Whole spices hold flavor longer than ground.  So, when I buy dry, I choose whole whenever possible, then grind as needed. 

Toasting herbs or spices warms the oils, thereby awakening the scents and flavors.  Rubbing them between your palms essentially does the same thing, just to a lesser degree. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

Many sunsets ago, I learned from Food Network that you can "extend" the life of SOME old spices by simply heating them in a pan on low heat right before using. I was indeed skeptical, but it works! You can also rub dried herbs such as rosemary, thyme, etc in the palm of your hand and awaken" them right before using them.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles   Great tips! Thanks for sharing Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

Many sunsets ago, I learned from Food Network that you can "extend" the life of SOME old spices by simply heating them in a pan on low heat right before using. I was indeed skeptical, but it works! You can also rub dried herbs such as rosemary, thyme, etc in the palm of your hand and awaken" them right before using them.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles   Great tips! Thanks for sharing Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise You are welcome.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I thought that one way around old spices was to use more of it - providing of course that it's otherwise safe to consume. 

Esteemed Contributor

You can tell by smell & pungency whether or not to throw away.

But, did I see an outdated container in that stash @house_cat ? I would throw that away, definitely.

I'm not quick to chuck spices, as I am oils that I have not used in a while.