Respected Contributor

Flour can get stale or even rancid. I usually just smell mine - not that regular unbleached or all pupose flour lasts very long around my house. But I have prchased whole wheat or rye flours that don't get used regularly and have gone bad.

Super Contributor

I always keep my baking flours and pancake mixes in my fridge or freezer in sealed Lock 'n Lock containers. Before L&L, I used Rubbermaid.  I always try to use up flour before the expiration date or throw it out.  Same with baking powder and baking soda. 

Honored Contributor

Self rise flour does expire and will no longer rise the item.  The baking powder dies.

Respected Contributor

Re: Expired Flour

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I put a bay leaf in a container with my flour and have never had a bug in it.  Somebody told me about that years ago.

@Kachina624  Never heard this so thank you for the tip, I will do just that!  Just googled that info and here is Kachina624's tip...

"...bay leaves repel pantry insects...from beetles to weevils, moths, cockroaches, ants, and flies are said to hate the herb's fragrance. The leaves can be placed in containers of flour, rice, and other dry goods, or taped inside cupboards or shelves....."

Respected Contributor

Since I use only KA flours and as a baker use specialty ones like rye, pumpernickle and potato flours, I keep in frig in L&L containers and/or sealed bags.  I will now be adding a bay leaf per Kachina624's suggestion.  I will also be doing the same with rice's et al in cabinets although they are in L&L.

Respected Contributor

I was shocked that Aldi's has a recall on All-Purpose Flour. Just heard about it Saturday May 25, 2019.Woman Indifferent It just doesn't stop. Also a big bunch of Ground Beef. recalled at a bunch of stores. This week-end also.

Honored Contributor

I did not know flour expired either.  I usually buy a 5 pound bake about once a year.