Regular Contributor

I am not much of a cook or baker, but I just found a recipe I wanted to try.  The flour I have is expired.  Can I still use it?  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

when did it expire? If it is years old, I'd toss it but a few months--I'd be ok with it. I didn't realize flour has an expire date, I know the speciality ones do. And just a FYI, I put my flour in a sealed container and not let it sit in the paper package. That way no bugs can get into it either . Bugs would also be a toss away thing----

Honored Contributor

I put a bay leaf in a container with my flour and have never had a bug in it.  Somebody told me about that years ago.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@demanda @If the flour is whole wheat I would toss it but if it is white flour then I would smell it to see if it smells old before I tossed it.

Respected Contributor

You always have such great 👍🏿 tips and ideas. Thanks.

@Kachina624 wrote:

I put a bay leaf in a container with my flour and have never had a bug in it.  Somebody told me about that years ago.

Honored Contributor

If it's self-rising flour, the leavening in it might not be any good anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't use it if it's expired by more than a couple weeks.   I don't think bugs get into the flour, I believe parasites grow in it after long periods of time. I also keep mine in a storage container in the frig for freshness.   Just like dried spices, some develop parasites so ALWAYS check your expiration dates, they are there for a reason!   

Honored Contributor

I don't use a lot of sugars or flours.  I dump the containers in December and buy fresh.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I always purchase King Arthur flour at WalMart and it does have an expiration date.  I bake a lot of choc. chip cookies for my family and they come out so good.

Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone.  The flour expired in October 2018.  I guess I should probably toss it.