Honored Contributor

As long as there's no swelling and no deep dents, I use those canned good for another 6 months.

Esteemed Contributor

I have to say that I throw out anything that has expired....

Trusted Contributor

Things to consider: Many persons lose their sense of smell/taste as they grow older, as well as losing their vision. As a result, how food smells, tastes and/or looks are not good determinants of whether or not food is safe to eat.

Also, canned goods are dated as "best by" or "expires on" from 1 to 4 years ahead. I would question:

1. What is in that food that it can have a shelf life of up to 4 years;

2. Why one would have kept a canned food for up to 4 years; perhaps it was an unnecessary purchase in the first place.

"Food" for thought...

Honored Contributor

The thing about food that was bought before expiration dates became the norm: Stores had no incentive to rotate their stock, so something might have been a few years old the day you bought it.

Honored Contributor
On 3/31/2015 seaside shopper said:

Things to consider: Many persons lose their sense of smell/taste as they grow older, as well as losing their vision. As a result, how food smells, tastes and/or looks are not good determinants of whether or not food is safe to eat.

Also, canned goods are dated as "best by" or "expires on" from 1 to 4 years ahead. I would question:

1. What is in that food that it can have a shelf life of up to 4 years;

2. Why one would have kept a canned food for up to 4 years; perhaps it was an unnecessary purchase in the first place.

"Food" for thought...

Those are some good thoughts, Seaside! I was thinking about this yesterday when I saw the thread and I recalled that I have a canned of tomatoes that I knew I had from purchasing one can too many last time I made - I don't remember, something.

Anyway, they are dated for later this year so clearly I've had them for a while. I always notice dates when I buy and canned goods usually have at least a couple of years on them, if not more.

I like to be really careful about that because I know me well enough to know that I will beat myself up if I create waste.

Meanwhile I'm trying to think of something to make, soon, with those tomatoes. Smiley Happy