Trusted Contributor

Of course, I am not asking anyone to respond, but I would find it interesting to know of those who consume canned goods and more specifically, consume canned goods beyond the expiration date, how many are on medications.

Honored Contributor

I have used canned goods that were 9 months past the best buy date and I can tell you, I can tell the product is old. I know it's not harmful and doesn't smell bad, but the taste is off.

Respected Contributor

Yeah, that is just to keep you from suing them if you get sick and can't tell when something has gone off when you open it. As people say, you can't teach common sense.

Trusted Contributor
On 3/30/2015 seaside shopper said:

Of course, I am not asking anyone to respond, but I would find it interesting to know of those who consume canned goods and more specifically, consume canned goods beyond the expiration date, how many are on medications.

Seaside shopper I will say I started this thread and I take many Medications for my Heart from a recent HA and I'm Type2 Diabetic. Why do you ask this question?

Trusted Contributor

I have now been purchasing Pomi Tomatoes in Cartons and will purchase them more since they are very low in Sodium which is what I need to use in my Low Sodium Diet.

Regular Contributor

Tomato products would be fine because of their acidity. From what I've heard it's just the texture of the food that will change over time, but it would still be safe to use. But like others have said, if there are any changes to the can, bulging or leaking then throw them out.

Honored Contributor
Tomato products contain acid and can actually explode if kept too long. You haven't seen a real mess until a can of tomato paste explodes in your pantry.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
I read where some dates are flexible, but I always go by the date. If it's past, I toss it.
Regular Contributor

If you are as old as I am, perhaps you remember that we never had expiration dates on cans..that's a relatively new thing. Back then--you really had no way of knowing how old a canned item was. I work at a food pantry also--we can give out everything and anything that is past it's "due date"--except baby food. Or--if an item says "expires by" we will have to go by that date. But it's really a judgement call. The manufacturers feel the food is best if used by then, but that doesn't matter. Everyone has to decide for themselves if a food item is still good tasting--even after the date on the item

Trusted Contributor
On 3/30/2015 Katey1261 said:
On 3/30/2015 seaside shopper said:

Seaside shopper I will say I started this thread and I take many Medications for my Heart from a recent HA and I'm Type2 Diabetic. Why do you ask this question?

Katey, I am aware that you started this discussion and am sorry to read of your health concerns. In answer to your question, I am interested in the correlation (if any) between type 2 diabetes/heart disease/various other new diseases such as lupus, fibromyalgia, and Bisphenol A (BPA).