Respected Contributor

Emergency! Refrigerator Recommendations Please!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Emergency! Refrigerator Recommendations Please!

No Way - SamSung (sp) or LG

Yes GE or perhaps Whirlpool (if they make refrigerators)?

Respected Contributor

Another vote for NOT LG or Samsung!

Valued Contributor

I have a 17 year old Maytag. 

Valued Contributor

French doors with the freezer on the bottom. 

Honored Contributor

Funny how LG and Samsung make good televisions but poor refrigerators.  I'm not doubting you as I've heard this before from others!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

any refrigerator BUT Samsung or LG😤😤😤😤😤

Samsung French door - Biggest mistake, piece of ******!!! 15 months old ice maker stopped working not covered under extended warranty!  And LOUD sometimes I think I'm in a turbine factory!!!! Terrible CS too!!!

OR SEARS friend bought hers there and bought a LG I think ...her freezer keeps "defrosting"....they have now agreed to replace it at 7 months old!!!

As a side note: My GE appliances are just turning 5 yrs old - both dishwasher & microwave died this year. Now my thermostat & seal on my stove/oven went ($294 estimate to fix).

They just make things to last anymore!

Regular Contributor

GE side by sides are good.  They have had a lot of problems with the french door style.  They have also been sold to Haier, but I don't think much has changed yet as far as their manufacturing goes. Never had Samsung, but my parents have a Kenmore that was made by LG and parts started falling off of it within a year or two.  Important parts - like the ones that keep the doors sealed. 

Maybe frigidaire?  Whatever you get, inspect it right away.  I've just had 2 stoves delivered damaged and learned that Home Depot requires you to repor the damage within 48 hours or you're out of luck.  Lowes might be 3 days - not sure.

Good luck! 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a 15 year old Kenmore single door on top, swing door bottom freezer that is excellent. Glass shelves. No water or ice stuff outside. Simple and plain white. It has the Kenmore brand ( from  Sears), but at the time I bought it, it was manufactured by Amana. Highly recommended either Kenmore or Amana. GE good, or Hotpoint/Whirlpool good, if they’re still around. 

Agree with everyone not recommending LG or Samsung. Many consumer complaints on those fridges.  

Regular Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

any refrigerator BUT Samsung or LG😤😤😤😤😤

Samsung French door - Biggest mistake, piece of ******!!! 15 months old ice maker stopped working not covered under extended warranty!  And LOUD sometimes I think I'm in a turbine factory!!!! Terrible CS too!!!

OR SEARS friend bought hers there and bought a LG I think ...her freezer keeps "defrosting"....they have now agreed to replace it at 7 months old!!!

The french doors with the water/ice makers in the door are a problem I think for a lot of brands.  it's just not cold enough in the fridge - makes for a design challenge. 

I did a lot of research on this a few years ago.  I don't envy anyone having to get a new fridge these days - or a washer.