Esteemed Contributor

Electric Percolators

[ Edited ]

I've posted on here recently asking for suggestions in buying an electric Percolator. In the last 2 years - I've have 2 large and 1 small Farberware; 1 large Cuisinart and 1 large Hamilton Beach. All lasted between 3 and 8 months. 2 weeks ago, I ordered a 2 to 12 cup Capresso Elec. Coffeemaker from Costco on-line ($55) and it's the best. It actually makes HOT coffee and keeps the coffee HOT for the 2nd cup. I make 4 cups (which is actually 2 cups) every morning. I bought Josie's Organic French Roast (Dark Roast) Coffee Beans - from Costco on-line and I grind it. It's hard to see the tiny numbers inside the pot. It's heavier and sturdier than the other brands. Costco usually has a 2-year warranty on small and large appliances -- so if this one doesn't last, I'll just return it.

There needs to be a class-action lawsuit against the manufacturers for selling defective coffeemakers.

Honored Contributor

It begs the question how difficult is it to make a percolator? They've been around long before drip coffee makers. I can't find any good reviews.

Honored Contributor

I still use a Corningware STOVE TOP perc..........it is ancient, and will outlive me(!!)   The only thing that will keep me from a cup of coffee....is a power failure.......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties with your percolators.I posted about buying a percolator about a year or 2 ago. I bought a Hamilton Beach with the glass topper. It's working great yet, and I love it! I never use my other fancy/complex coffee makers anymore and will likely purge them this summer. For me, the flavor & smell of percolated coffee has no match.

Esteemed Contributor

Presto has been my brand for 3 decades.  Eventually all electric elements die - I just buy another one.

Super Contributor

I bought a percolator but didn't like the taste of the coffee.  Do I need to use a special brand or grind?  

Honored Contributor

I have an electric Farberware Percolator that is over 40 years old. My son uses it every morning at work.

Glad that it has served me well.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Duck I stick to FOLGERS - right out of the can.  However, "F" has 4 levels of strength and I only buy the dark - darkest; but not fussy about Mountain Brew ?  or whatever 'flavor' they offer.  But won't buy "SILK" unless that's the only one on the shelf - but I drink coffee black and like the darkest.  Other ones can taste like dish water.

Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties with your percolators.I posted about buying a percolator about a year or 2 ago. I bought a Hamilton Beach with the glass topper. It's working great yet, and I love it! I never use my other fancy/complex coffee makers anymore and will likely purge them this summer. For me, the flavor & smell of percolated coffee has no match.

@Desert Lily  I purchased a Hamilton Beach a few months ago . We have been happy with it . What I love about a percolator is that it is stainless steel. With drip ones it is very hard to find one with ss reservoir and after a few months usage I start noticing plastic taste. Also it is hot. I think a few models of Bunn drips have ss reservoir but you have to check with company to be sure. I was very disappointed in a Farberware percolator I bought and the thermostat went out about a month after warranty expired (about a year).

I also use a Hamilton Beach version of the pod kind of coffee . I find certain pod brands tasty and strong enough ( I like dark coffees) when I want just 1 cup. On lazy mornings I use a small coffee press that I have and it is delicious.

I got my fingers crossed that the percolator lasts beyond the warranty! I have had one Hamilton Beach product that gave out soon after the warranty expired ( a food processor) and they did offer to deal a nice percentage off of a new model if I wanted. I thought that was better than some companies .

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG 

Elec. Percolators used to be GREAT - until the manufacturers cheapened them and have them made in Asia. I used to love Farberware percolators - which lasted 5 years.