Super Contributor

Thanks to all the egg-sperts! Yeah I said that. LOL.

I'll be having some eggs sunny side up this weekend!!

Honored Contributor
On 1/14/2015 chessylady said: I'm from the South and the way I was taught was to keep some bacon grease in the pan and tilt the pan and then splash the hot grease over the top of the egg. It presumes that everyone cooks bacon with their eggs.

And it presumes you like eggs cooked in bacon grease, cooked fairly hot and probably with the dreaded brown edges! LOL!!!

Respected Contributor
On 1/15/2015 Sooner said:
On 1/14/2015 chessylady said: I'm from the South and the way I was taught was to keep some bacon grease in the pan and tilt the pan and then splash the hot grease over the top of the egg. It presumes that everyone cooks bacon with their eggs.

And it presumes you like eggs cooked in bacon grease, cooked fairly hot and probably with the dreaded brown edges! LOL!!!

We call that curtain lace.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor
On 1/15/2015 debc said:

I am a true Southern lady and have never heard of that before LOL. My darling mom said the skillet was too hot when that happened. I like your expression much better since it gives it a delicate touch to those wonderful eggs.

Honored Contributor
On 1/14/2015 Perkup said:
On 1/14/2015 GoodStuff said:

If you turn the eggs over for just a brief minute, they will be done on both sides, but the yolk will still be runny. And they taste so good cooked this way in a nonstick pan with just a spritz of cooking spray! Just that little bit of browned "frizzle" to add flavor, with very little fat.

Doesn't this ruin your pan? I've read many times that cooking spray will "kill" the nonstick quality of a pan. Not being critical - just curious about your results.

I do turn my eggs over. I never use cooking spray. I do put a very small coating of butter on the bottom before I put the egg in, so I get just a hint of the browning on the edges too, but it adds a little flavor.

I have heard that no non stick pan should be on the burner without oil or butter in it, but maybe that rule has changed

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
On 1/15/2015 Hoovermom said:
On 1/15/2015 debc said:

I am a true Southern lady and have never heard of that before LOL. My darling mom said the skillet was too hot when that happened. I like your expression much better since it gives it a delicate touch to those wonderful eggs.

I grew up with the phrase, but that was in North Dakota. Smiley Happy

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*