Respected Contributor

Ebinger's Black Out Cake Recipe.......trip down memory lane but still great taste

i posted this elsewhere, but thought it really needed its own thread for those who recall and loved Ebinger's Bakery Cakes. i posted it especially for those who miss this cake and would like to have the recipe to make it themselves as i do, or for people who love black out cake and would like to make this world famous much loved Ebinger's Bakery recipe.

my Aunt lived in NYC and she had an Ebinger Bakery within walking distance from her home. When we visited from Texas we used to always buy the cakes from this bakery and enjoy them so much. they had a unique flavor all their own which was out of this world delicious. my two favorites were their black out cake, and the hazelnut mocha frosted yellow cake with slivered almonds on the sides.

Ebinger's Bakeries sadly all now defunct had the best reputation for baking the most delicious bakery cakes, and baked goods, especially their black out cake.....here is their own delicious black out cake recipe, so worth the time and $ to make. i hope everyone will enjoy this recipe and cake as much as i do.

when i take the time and effort to make this very special occasion cake i get raves and pleas for the recipe, so for me it was well worth my efforts to make it and allow those who remember Ebinger's bakeries to stroll down memory lane and recall their wonderful Ebinger's cake experiences, or for those new to this Ebinger's black out cake, make a new memory, and hopefully also bake their own from the recipe.

http://www.food.com/recipe/ebingers-blackout-cake-95909

recipe follows below the cake photograph:

ebinger's Blackout Cake. Photo by ablemaidel

Ebinger's Black Out Cake Recipe

Prep Time: 1 hr
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients:
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup milk
4 ounces butter, unsalted,at room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pudding Filling:
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Frosting:
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
4 ounces butter
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
3 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions:

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2 Grease and flour 2-9" cake pans.

3 Make the cake

4 Stir the cocoa with with some of the milk to form a paste.

5 Stir in the rest of the milk and beat with a whisk until the mixture is smooth.

6 Set aside.

7 In the bowl of an electric mixture, combine the butter, shortening, sugar, eggs, vanilla.

8 Beat for one minute, or until the mixture is fluffy.
9 Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking powder and salt.

10 Add the mixture, alternating with the chocolate mixture, to the contents of the bowl, beating between additions, beginning and ending with flour.

11 Beat only until the dry ingredients are absorbed.

12 Divide the batter between the 2 cake pans, and smooth with a spatula.

13 Bake for 35-40 minutes until the cake shrinks from the sides of the pans, and the top springs back when gently pressed with a fingertip.

14 Do not over bake!

15 Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes, then carefully invert on to racks.

16 Turn right-side up and let cool completely.

17 Make the pudding

18 Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small, heavy sauce pan.

19 Gradually add the milk, mixing thoroughly with a whisk.

20 Add the chocolate.

21 Place over moderate heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and bubbles; about 3 minutes.

22 Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.

23 Pour into a small bowl, and put plastic wrap or wax paper directly on the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming.

24 Cool

25 Make the frosting

26 Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler.

27 Remove from heat and cool slightly.

28 In a medium bowl beat the butter, vanilla and eggs until well blended.

29 The mixture will not blend completely- Don't worry!

30 Gradually beat in the sugar, about 2 T at a time, beating well after each addition.

31 Beat in the melted chocolatey.

32 Chill the frosting while assembling the rest of the cake, about 15 minutes.

33 Assembly

34 Using a serrated knife, cut each cake layer in half horizontally.

35 Place one of the layers in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to make crumbs.

36 Set Aside.

37 Sandwich the remaining 3 layers with the chocolate pudding filling.

38 Work on a cardboard cake circle, or the bottom of a spring form pan.

39 Frost the top and sides of the cake with the chocolate frosting.

40 Working over a baking sheet, hold the cake in the palm of your hand.

41 Using your other hand, press the cake crumbs all over the top and sides of the cake.

42 Pick up any crumbs that drop, and press them back on.