Super Contributor

Re: Eating Tilapia is Worse Than Eating Bacon

FHG, I bought Tilapia AND Bacon today {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}! How bad am I???

Super Contributor

Interesting sign I noticed while at the fish counter the other day. Was looking over the wild caught items and the wild caught salmon was designated as artificial color added. Now why, if I am going for the healthier option of wild caught would I want artificial color added.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Respected Contributor

We read the same thing in Prevention Magazine a couple of years ago about the Tilapia. None since then. Just the thought of it makes me cringe.

Honored Contributor

If I followed this warning, I would have to throw half the contents of my freezer away, since it is all frozen fish including salmon (Atlantic . . . the worst according to the Google charts), tilapia (which is Asian and considered the best on the chart, but everyone here calls it "trash"), and shrimp, which is also listed in the good category, but also is called "trash." I haven't been buying tuna anymore either because of mercury.

I don't buy or eat beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, ham, hot dogs, sausages . . . and definitely not bacon. I eat frozen vegetables which are probably loaded with animal s*it, and we're not supposed to eat carbs. Let me see . . . what's left? . . . oh, that's right, dairy is bad too.

I suppose it doesn't matter at my age anymore. My body has tons of poisons in it, including rads and rads of radiation from ten years of nuclear testing. That's what happens when one lives too long.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

On 1/10/2014 debc said:
On 1/10/2014 mima said:

I love both tilapia and catfish. Oh well. I'm pretty sure I'm going to die of something.

LOL, all fish are pretty much trash fish, they'll eat almost anything.

{#emotions_dlg.lol} ITA!! Been eating catfish for over 50 yrs here in the South and tilapia for about 5 yrs along with grouper for 25 yrs! still here & kicking!!!

Trusted Contributor

Good by to everyone..........I have really enjoyed it here........I do wish it could have been a longer stay.......But I guess it is time for me to go away, as I ate fresh scallops, oysters, crab, and grouper fingers..........ALL FRIED........... for lunch.......{#emotions_dlg.scared} I know now, that when I sleep this wayward night......shall I never wake to a morning light.......{#emotions_dlg.devil2} I will go and be with Shakespeare.......he will laugh.......and then I will be sleeping WITH the fishes...........{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

On 1/10/2014 forrestwolf said:

Good by to everyone..........I have really enjoyed it here........I do wish it could have been a longer stay.......But I guess it is time for me to go away, as I ate fresh scallops, oysters, crab, and grouper fingers..........ALL FRIED........... for lunch.......{#emotions_dlg.scared} I know now, that when I sleep this wayward night......shall I never wake to a morning light.......{#emotions_dlg.devil2} I will go and be with Shakespeare.......he will laugh.......and then I will be sleeping WITH the fishes...........{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

Grouper has fingers???? By the way, cute poem{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Frequent Contributor

I don't eat any bottom feeder fish - tilapia or catfish - or bacon, which is nothing more than a bunch of fat and sodium.

Honored Contributor

OK then. Squirrel? Not farm raised, doesn't come from China.

Super Contributor

On 1/10/2014 FunkyHulaGirl said:

Both tilapia and cat fish are "bottom feeders" that even in the wild eat nasty stuff. Since most talapia sold in the US comes from fish farms in China, it's raised in unsanitary conditions in heavily polluted water. It seems to have become really popular the last few years; I tried it and didn't care for it.

ITA! I remember the day when people wouldn't eat catfish. It was considered dirty and disgusting. I still can't bring myself to eat catfish and now I won't be eating talapia.