Respected Contributor

Ham, Holiday Kielbasa, Egg Cheese, Hard Boiled Eggs, Grated Beets & Horseradish, Paska Bread and Potato Salad

Respected Contributor

Baked Ham

Roasted Potatoes with Parmesean

Mac and Cheese

Salad

Corn on the Cob

Candied Yams

Chicken and Dumplings

Beans

Deviled Eggs

Creamed Corn

Cheesy Mashed Potatoes

Cheese Cake

Brownies

And God only knows what else. We set a slight menu, but each of us always add something at the last minute because one of the kids wants it. We usually eat dinner and supper together on Easter Sunday. My sister's in-laws are joining us and are bringing the Honey Baked Ham because that is the only ham her MIL likes. We will hunt a couple of hundred eggs with 4-5 kids looking for them. There will be about 20 or more there. We also never know who else will show up usually neighbors and friends that don't have other family this time of year. We feed whoever comes!

Frequent Contributor
We are going out to Easter Brunch at our community's golf club. There will be Rosemary prime rib, ham and many side dishes and breakfast items. Both my sons, my sister and 2 grandkids will be joining us. The club has an Easter egg hunt for the kids before brunch. Hopping for nice weather!
Honored Contributor
There will just be three of us. We're having baked ham, scalloped potatoes, fresh asparagus, piña colada fluff salad, and lemon meringue pie.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

We wish all our QVC pals very safe and happy holidays again this year, and as usual will be having our Easter Feast out back with a large gathering of relatives, friends, and neighbors.

Our Greek Easter feast this year is on Sunday, April 12th, and will consist of the following traditional Greek Easter foods, and we have already sent out invitations for 40 guests.

(We usually begin preparing many foods about one week in advance for items which can be prepared ahead of time).

We prepare the meats outside in the outdoor kitchen area, and begin in time so it is ready to be served about 2 pm when the Easter feast begins. (If using hand turned spits then the relatives arrive and help to prepare the splits, meats, and begin turning them by hand).

The men prefer hand turning rather than spits which use electricity, and I think it is to sit and converse and enjoy their heritage and traditions, as their ancestors also did).

Meats to be served:

A whole lamb seasoned with Greek spices and slowly turned on a split by hand

A whole Goat also seasoned and turned on a split also by hand

Two large Chateaubriand's will be smoked in the smoker

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Easter Eggs:

(Prepared the day before the Easter Feast).

Dyed Red Easter Eggs using Red dye made in Greece is scattered around the back yard for the children to find in Easter baskets with goodies, and placed in deep bowls for all to enjoy as we toast and crack the Easter eggs, and say Hrestos Anesti, Alethos Anesti....Christ has risen!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breads:

(Phillip and I will bake 5 Greek Easter Christ Breads one day in advance, which are called Greek Christopsomo).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appetizers:

Home made Greek grape leaves rolled with meat and rice filling called Dolmathes (Made in advance).

Greek fried meatballs called Keftethes (Made in advance).

(The Tzatziki, Taramousalata, and Skordalia spreads are made 2 days in advance so the flavors marry in the refrigerator).

Greek spreads such as Tzatziki which is a Greek cucumber garlic yogurt spread

Greek Caviar Spread called Taramousalata which is a fish roe spread

Greek Skordalia which is a garlic potato spread

(Greek Saganaki which is the flaming Kasseri cheese is made out back as soon as everything is on the table and guests are seated).

First prayers said is our Greek Easter Prayer that Christ Has Risen, and we give many thanks for all our food, and gathered guests, and other blessings in general, also blessing the deceased in Heaven.

Condiments:

Two types of Greek Olives, Kalamata and Greek Green olives stuffed with feta cheese

Home made Greek hot pickles and peppers

Sliced Greek Feta cheese, sliced Greek Kasseri cheese

Greek Salads:

Greek villager's salads, both with and without anchovies.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Sides prepared the same day as Easter feast.:

Roasted Greek Lemon Potatoes

Greek buttered rice

Sautéed spinach with garlic

Sliced Beets

------------------------------------------------------------------

Desserts:

Baked Greek Goodies
(Traditional Baklava and Diples are both made in advance).

Desserts will be numerous and all home made prepared by my Phillip, and myself which will consist of the following below, and a few can be prepared well in advance.

A few trays each of Greek Baklava Cheesecake, Traditional Baklava, Galaktoboureko which is a baked Greek Custard Pie with Syrup, Greek Diples which are a traditional Greek Easter pastry with honey.

Greek Cookies:
(All Greek cookies are made well in advance and stay on the table covered until ready to serve.).

My beloved deceased Mom's decadent recipes for her Greek Sugar Cookies dusted in the powdered sugar with nuts inside called Kourambiethes, and Greek honey cookies with walnuts called Melomakarona.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Refreshments:

Drinks are Greek wines red and white, Beer, for those non drivers, and plenty of Sparkling Water, Iced tea, Lemonade, etc.

This will probably be the last Greek celebration event we host for a while, as we are getting our travel itinerary prepared, for our next travel adventure abroad again, and are really looking forward to it.

P.S. Goldie we hope you are feeling better these days, and also enjoy your Greek Easter feast with your Greek family and relatives...... Kalo Pascha my dear friend.....which in English translates to Happy Easter".

Again Happy Easter, and Happy Holidays to all of our QVC pals....Enjoy!!!!!!

Respected Contributor
On 3/28/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Baked Ham
Cheesy Potato Casserole
Glazed Sweet Potato Slices
Oven-roasted Fresh Asparagus Spears
Strawberry Pretzel Jello
Dinner Rolls or Croissants

Still trying to decide about dessert.

This sounds so much like our Easter hen I was a kid...Heck, the pretzel Jello is kind of like dessert!..but my Mom used to always make a wine cake with sliced strawberries on the side or strawberry shortcake for dessert!

Honored Contributor
We're going to my daughter's house for dinner at 6, a bit late for us. We are going to the early church service and I invited three friends over for brunch after church. Omelettes, home fries, bagels, english muffins, cream cheese, strawberry jam, sausage, coffee, tea, orange juice........and champagne.
Honored Contributor

Nope not doing Easter this year....moving....we'll find a nice restaurant!

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

I love making holiday dinners! Our Easter menu (for about 12 people):

A tray of assorted pickles and such that I canned last summer and some cheeses from our local cheesemaker (right down the road from us!) with a Spicy Nut mixture. (I don't go crazy with appetizers)

Baked Ham with Sweet Glaze (from Allrecipes) and Old Farmhouse Chutney (I canned last fall)

Potato Casserole with Bacon and Caramelized Onion (from Cook's Country)

Pineapple Stuffing

Dried Corn

Parmesan Asparagus (from Cook's Country)

Pickled Beets and Eggs (probably the only time we have pickled eggs is at Easter)

Salad with Tangy Tomato Salad Dressing (the salad dressing is a knock-off of the Outback's house dressing and is popular in our family)

Three-Grain Pan Rolls (from Taste of Home, that I've tweaked a bit)

Desserts will be:

Chocolate Caramel Supreme Pie

Lemon Meringue Pie

A tray of sugar cookies, decorated as Easter eggs (I'm baking the cookies this afternoon and will put in the freezer until we decorate them this coming Saturday)

My SIL is bringing a few bottles of a lovely blush wine from our local winery

Super Contributor

I am pleased to see people preparing a couple of meats. I want to cook up the turkey I bought on sale at Thanksgiving time and then my husband decided we should get a turkey from a local organic farmer. (It was delicious). Sigh. I love ham, I want a ham so I picked up a small quarter Kentucky Legend ham. This ham is good good and you can buy as much as you want. I am making potato lasagna (requested from son), roasted asparagus, Oriental cabbage salad, sweet potato casserole, rolls, maybe deviled eggs, lemon pound cake and brownie muffins. I want to send home leftovers with the 2 single men.