Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Dutch Oven recommendations

I too would suck it up and go for the LeCreuset.  I have many pieces and they hold up well inside and out.  About a year ago I bought a Lodge because I needed a large piece and didn't think I'd use it all that much.  It has held up well on the inside, but the drips on the outside of the pot have left faded marks that I can't get rid of.

I think Staub would be fine too.  Just avoid MIC (Lodge is MIC.)

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon   You are correct.  The traditional Lodge cast iron is made in the U.S.  Their enameled cast iron is made in China.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Contributor

I have that same blue Lodge one also and love it. I got a deal of $39.99 when Kroger's was remodeling the store. 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@faeriemoon   You are correct.  The traditional Lodge cast iron is made in the U.S.  Their enameled cast iron is made in China.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

@aroc3435 Yes, and they claim the reason to be that there are no good enameling facilities in the US.  Not sure I'm believing that one.  And if it is true, perhaps they should look to a country that is able to manufacture it correctly. Of course, that would affect the price greatly.

Esteemed Contributor

@Knit-Chick  .. I have the Cuisinart 7 Qt Round Covered Casserole which I purchased from Amazon for approximately $92.00 two years ago.  I beleive it is now up to around $129.00.   It was recommended by America's Text Kitchen. It came in second after the 

Le Creuse which sells for close to $400.00.  I also  bought one for my brother.  We both love it.