Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Does anyone use a bread box?!

wooden is good . beautiful and looks like heirloom...

Honored Contributor

My kitchen came with a bread drawer. It holds a couple loaves, is lined in ceramic and has a lid. I like it.

Trusted Contributor

We had a metal one with a cutting board on the door when you opened it. After using it for several years, I finally got rid of it. I did not find it kept the bread any fresher. I would rather store my bread in the microwave where it is air tight and off the counter top. 

Esteemed Contributor

I use a metal bread box. I grew up with one, so I have never thought of not having one.

Honored Contributor

I found that if we prop the lid open a little on the wooden box, the  bread keeps longer and doesnt seem to mold with more air cirulating!!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Trusted Contributor

Debbie, remember her? From the old QVC?  now on HSN ? makes green boxes designed specifically for bread.  I had three + week old supermarket rye bread I couldn't justify throwing out because it hadn't molded yet. LOL

Trusted Contributor

I keep mine on the counter, spare loaf in freezer, use microwave too,too much for bread or anything to be stored there.   I had one of the pine with window in it,bread would be moldy in couple of days.  Here in  AZ just opening the bag to take a couple of pieces for sandwich or toast it drys out.

Super Contributor

yes, we have a wooden one.  the top opens up- that's where I keep appliance warranties.

Honored Contributor

I haven't even seen a bread box in probably about 20 years!

I rarely eat bread so what would be the point?

A question ..... just how could putting a loaf in a bread box make it last longer?    Just how could this help?