Contributor

Does anyone remember Beardsley Codfish??

it came in a box and it was dried. I tried to find it only to find out it isn't made anymore. My Grandma made the best codfish cakes out of that. I know she would soak the cod, and then make mashed potatoes and put onion and make into round cakes and fry them. Oh, they were so good. Anyone else have a way back then memory that you can't get anymore? take care tawny

Re: Does anyone remember Beardsley Codfish??

Yes. My mom made them the same way.we had them on fridays along with franco american spaghetti. Loved them. I think I will make them for a dinner during the lenten season.

Respected Contributor

Is that salt cod!? We used to make brandade with it.. Another good dish!

Honored Contributor

we have something similar to codfish cakes.....

in the maryland area we call them "coddies" and they are very popular. years ago people used to make them instead of making crabcakes because crabmeat was so much more expensive or not always readily available in the colder months.

have never heard of beardsley codfish though.....but did find a photo.

maryland coddies history.....

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-06-10/entertainment/bs-fo-recipe-finder-baltimore-coddies-2014...

http://www.americanfoodroots.com/my-american-roots/baltimore-brothers-remember-coddies/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein

Sorry to say my mom made the best cod fish cakes, lol. I was  just talking to my mom about them tonight. How I miss them

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45

I am originally from Md but been in Florida a long time.  Thanks for the Baltimore Sun and coddie info.  Enjoyed it.

Boop

Honored Contributor

@flbettyboop wrote:

@sunshine45

I am originally from Md but been in Florida a long time.  Thanks for the Baltimore Sun and coddie info.  Enjoyed it.

Boop

you are welcome @flbettyboop. Smiley Happy

it is a big maryland tradition.....almost as iconic as our maryland crabcakes and steamed crabs. Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein