Respected Contributor

Does anyone have/had a composite sink?

We are in the very beginning stages of remodeling our kitchen. The sales girl at the granite showroom suggested a composite sink. While the color will look great with our granite, backsplash and flooring, I am unsure about the longevity of the material as I don't know anyone who has ever had one. I have always had a porcelain (almond or white) sink, but I am open to stainless as our color scheme is black, gray and white. White appliances and white cabinets.

I am really asking for experience in the composite vs. other materials.

Thanks for all of the input. Karen

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does anyone have/had a composite sink?

I have a composite sink (deep beautiful coffee brown) that I love! I've had it almost five years and it looks brand new. It doesn't chip, scratch or stain like porcelain and I love the color with my counters. About once a month I take a paper towel with baby oil and wipe it down and it always looks great. Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the great info LuLuBelle!! I didn't know about the baby oil. That is probably the secret to keeping it looking great. I appreciate your help.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Frequent Contributor

On 3/24/2015 redwingsgal said:

Thanks for the great info LuLuBelle!! I didn't know about the baby oil. That is probably the secret to keeping it looking great. I appreciate your help.

redwingsgal, Love the internet! After we got the sink I looked up on-line the best way to care for it and that's how I found out about the baby oil. Best of luck with whatever you end up choosing - a kitchen remodel is fun. Five years later I still love all of my choices and hope you feel the same. Please come back and let me know what you decided on. LuLu

Occasional Contributor

Hi Redwingsgal. I have a black silestone kitchen sink that is wonderful. Never stains or scratches and is super easy to care for. Never shows water spots, either, like some colored porcelain sinks do. Don't be afraid...go for it! And congrats on the kitchen remodel!

Esteemed Contributor

My sister has one she loves. I know she's had it at least 5 years and it looks brand new.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

We installed a granite composite sink about three years ago. We've had a lot of problems, but it was determined that we just got a "bad" sink.

It stains horribly on the bottom, and nothing gets it clean. We contacted the factory and they said the bottom of the sink had not been finished properly. They did give us a brand new sink.

However, we had just installed the original one, including new faucet and garbage disposal. And, they didn't include labor to have the job redone. So, in the event that the garbage disposal needs to be replaced, we'll replace the sink at that point. I can feel where the finish on the new sink is much smoother.

Because of this experience, I'm not sure I would get another one.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

My friend's also still looks like new. She's had it for quite a few years.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

We have a single large Blanco silgranite sink in the kitchen. Anthracite color. I love that sink. I didn't want a double sink, just a large single one and this is wonderful. I can fit a large turkey roaster in that sink. I can fit large cookie sheets right down in the sink with no trouble. It's been installed now going on three years, I think, and I can't say anything bad about it. No chips. Cleans beautifully. Not a bit of trouble.

I'd buy the exact same thing all over again.

http://www.blanco-germany.com/en_us/en_us/sinks/sinkcollections/silgranit_sink_collections/SILGRANIT...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Not sure if this counts but I have one by Franke it is about 20 or so years old and some sort of composite material, if I had to rebuy I would get Stainless Steel, much easier to keep clean.

it is not corian, SS or porcelain