Valued Contributor

Re: Does anyone have a great way to display or use their spices?

On 10/31/2014 paShar said:

There's an infomercial running now for a spice shelf that is adjustable in the width and will fit in your cupboard. You can either put it on shelf pegs (if your cupboard has them) or use the legs that come with them. You get two of them and can stack them and the height is variable. It looks interesting and might be what you're looking for. I can't remember the exact name though.

OMG - I just saw this infomercial the other day and I'm really considering buying them. It's called ""Spicy Shelf."" HTH
New Contributor

I keep mine in those little aluminum canisters from BB&B--they have magnetic bottoms, so I put the spice/dried herb in the canister (make sure the holes are blocked) and stick them on the side of my refrigerator, which is not too far from my stove. The lids are clear plastic, so I can see if I'm running out. I put little round labels on the top with the name of the item. I have about 20 of them on my fridge; keep extras and Penzeys bags with bigger amounts in a cabinet. They're a sort of display, in that they can be seen on the side of the fridge, but they're pretty out of the way. The canisters are stainless steel (or look like it), as is the fridge finish, so they blend in well--not everyone has the sides of their fridge exposed, but you could put them on the front, too. You could also inexpensively get a piece of sheet metal from a home improvement store, hand it on a wall or cabinet door and stick the canisters to that. Since the canisters are solid on the sides, just that little bit of clear plastic on the lid, they don't get too much exposure to light, and I live in Alaska, so our kitchen is relatively cool most of the time.

Trusted Contributor

I store my spices the way my Mom has always stored hers - laying down with the labels up in a drawer. Easy to see, different shapes don't matter and they're in the dark to preserve potency.
Valued Contributor

Last week Aldis had 3 tier spice racks on sale. I bought one and tried it and immediately returned to the store and bought 2 more. I could only get one on each shelf, but now I am so happy when I look for something. I put baking spices on one and savory type on another. The top shelf one holds extras. When I had them on a lazy susan, everytime I would spin it, carefully, a spice would come off and get stuck somewhere in the back of the cabinet. I am happy, happy, happy now with spice hunting.