Respected Contributor

Re: Doctor recommended Buckwheat pancakes ??

This link might help.

http://www.thealternativedaily.com/grains-vs-seeds-whats-the-scoop/

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Blini and caviar?

I actually love buckwheat, love Kasha, soba noodles

might be an acquired taste.

Trusted Contributor

Many health experts nowadays are questioning the wisdom of eating large amounts of wheat and other sources of gluten and steering patients to diets lower in wheat and grains. I guess buckwheat falls into a different food category.

Like some others, I can't imagine eating pancakes almost every morning! Not only is that a lot of wheat........that usually means a lot of butter and sugary syrup or jam on top!

Respected Contributor

I love buckwheat pancakes. The have a nice nutty taste.
Contributor

My dad grew up on a farm and the only pancakes he would eat were buckwheat. He used to make a sourdough buckwheat pancake that I crave to this day. There is a grist mill near my home that carries buckwheat flour. Be prepared...it has a sharp flavor in that it can make your throat feel scratchy. I always mix it with all-purpose flour for pancakes. I also think you can still buy buckwheat pancake mix, probably at a health food store. As an aside, buckwheat honey is great.
Super Contributor

Don`t make them at home but get them whenever I`m at Bob Evans, nice change.

Respected Contributor

Maybe the doctor subscribes to the latest theory about wheat making you bloat. Buckwheat isn't wheat, it's a fruit, actually. It's got a lot of protein, like quinoa does.

I like it but sadly, it doesn't like me, allergic. I grew up on buckwheat "kasha"--a kind of pilaf with buckwheat. I love soba. I got allergic to it when I worked in Japan and slept on a buckwheat chaff pillow, which inhaling the dust aggravated allergies.

Normally, buckwheat is fermented or raised with yeast to make pancakes, rather than be made with baking powder. I am not certain why this is traditionally the case.

They do taste good.

Honored Contributor

Gotta love the posters who apropos of nothing but attempting to be subtly rude, are insinuating or more than insinuating that the OPs diet isn't what it should be according to them/they way they eat, what on earth is she doing eating pancakes, OMG she's eating them more than once a week, we've got to save this woman from herself, blahblahblah.

The poster asked questions about buckwheat. She did not state that her doctor told her to stop eating pancakes so often.

So typical of the forums. Aaaaand, I'm sure, it's ONLY because the posters are seriously worried about the OPs health. Uh-huh.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

I didn't know you could make American style pancakes with buckwheat. I always think of ""buckwheat pancakes"" as being crepes. They're popular in Europe.

Super Contributor

Buckwheat is supposed to have a lot of health benefits. It may help decrease risk for cardiovascular disease and diabetes. It's high in fiber and protein, both of which would have a wide range of health benefits. It is also gluten free. Your physician may have had any number of health reasons specific to you for suggesting you switch to buckwheat pancakes. In addition, there is growing concern about gluten consumption and the potential negative effects of that in some communities- and buckwheat is not a grain and does not contain gluten. Switching to buckwheat pancakes may improve mood, energy, mental functioning, digestion, and other things.

I like buckwheat pancakes. To me, they are tastier and stick with me longer than regular pancakes. When I made them, they were fluffy - but a little denser than regular pancakes. I feel better when i have them in contrast to regular pancakes, but I rarely have pancakes. I also don't care for syrups or butter on my pancakes. I use minimal syrup and maybe a little fruit or fruit spread. An apple butter would be yummy on pancakes. Mmmmm. I may have to make some this weekend.

Given how many Americans eat cereal for breakfast every morning, I don't see how that is all that different from eating pancakes regularly.