Honored Contributor

No, I don't make my own stock and I don't buy into the bone broth trend at all.

Honored Contributor

i make my own stock or broth.......my favorite is turkey, but i also make it from chicken, beef shanks, lamb shanks. i make it on top of the stove.......low and slow and i skim off any foam from the top as it is going. i then use it in other recipes OR i freeze it for use later.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you make bone broth?

[ Edited ]

I've been making my own broths and stock for years. Never have I ever used bones that were gnawed on that people have chewed. Never. Broth and stock are made from the carcass of the turkey or chicken or from beef bones, not the bones from people's plates! I don't know where anybody got that idea, but that's horrible.

My MIL's cousin has a farm and raises cattle. When they butcher, they give us huge bags of beef bones. I roast them and use them for making my beef stock. Cool it down, chill it well, remove the layer of fat, and then freeze. I use the turkey carcass or the chicken carcass from the roast to make my poultry stock and do the same thing. 

I normally put my bones in the oven to roast, but if I'm in a hurry and need some good poultry stock, the pressure cooker also works beautifully.

ETA: Where did the concept of "bone broth" come from, does anybody know? It's just stock or broth, isn't it? 

Trusted Contributor

FYI--

The Primary Difference Between Stock & Broth
Often stocks and broths both start off the same way: scraps of vegetable, meat, and bone are slowly simmered to extract as much flavor as possible. But there is technically a difference between the two.

Broth: Technically speaking, broth is any liquid that has had meat cooked in it. Of course, now broth really is a catch-all for any flavored cooking liquid, including broths made by simmering fish, vegetables, or even legumes.
Stock: Stock, however, always involves bones, simmered for a long time to extract their gelatin and flavor. The thick, often-gelatinous nature of stocks is only possible when bones are present. Roasting the bones makes for a richer, more deeply colored stock, but it's not essential to the process.

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-stock-and-broth-word-of-mouth-71199

The Difference Between Stocks and Broths
By Mr. Brown. Published on January 11, 2015.
What is the difference between stocks and broths? Let’s lay out the facts right up front:

— A stock is made from bones and whatever connective tissue and joint material is connected to them at the time they go in the pot.

— A broth is a liquid in which meat has been cooked. A broth may be flavorful, but without bones there will never be substantial body.

In the home kitchen producing a pure “stock” is difficult because getting bones spotless is a tough proposition. And so we usually make chicken or turkey stocks, which, since they usually have a fair amount of meat still clinging to them, are really hybrids with characteristics of broths and stocks, which is fine but not quite as flavor-neutral as what restaurants generally use.

http://altonbrown.com/the-difference-between-stocks-and-broths

Respected Contributor

Now if I had access to those bones I'd be more inclined t...

@PamelaSue72 wrote:

I've been making my own broths and stock for years. Never have I ever used bones that were gnawed on that people have chewed. Never. Broth and stock are made from the carcass of the turkey or chicken or from beef bones, not the bones from people's plates! I don't know where anybody got that idea, but that's horrible.

My MIL's cousin has a farm and raises cattle. When they butcher, they give us huge bags of beef bones. I roast them and use them for making my beef stock. Cool it down, chill it well, remove the layer of fat, and then freeze. I use the turkey carcass or the chicken carcass from the roast to make my poultry stock and do the same thing. 

I normally put my bones in the oven to roast, but if I'm in a hurry and need some good poultry stock, the pressure cooker also works beautifully.

ETA: Where did the concept of "bone broth" come from, does anybody know? It's just stock or broth, isn't it? 

Now if I had access to those bones I'd be more inclined to make beef stock.

I think it's just a regional thing that turned into a fad, like chia seeds, coconut, paleo diet, etc.

I call sloppy joes slushburgers always will.   My family does and the people in ND where I lived did as well.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@vabreeze Most places I've looked don't agree with the accesment that there no meat in stock.  I've never actually met anyone who took all the meat off.    Same with broth, they use the bones as well.   

Everywhere was a slight variation, not enough to convince me there's a difference.   You say tomato and I say tomahto kind of thing for me.   Even chefs don't agree.

I was trying to figure out the bone broth deal and one place said it was a mix of broth and stock. 

I use the words interchangably.  Sometimes I use the carcass and just the meat on the bone like turkey.  Others I toss a couple whole chickens in a pot.   I consider them both stock until I do something with them.

~~
Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you make bone broth?

[ Edited ]

Thank you, vebreeze, for the information. 

When I first started making broths and stocks, I thought I messed up when my stock got very gelatinous. I called my MIL to see what I had done wrong. She laughed at me and said that I did it all right and it's supposed to be that way. I didn't know that.

When our son got married, they hosted Thanksgiving dinner that year. During dinner, I asked DS what they were going to do with the turkey carcass; he said they were going to throw it in the trash. Well! From the look on my face, he knew! And he started laughing. 

When we got ready to leave later on that afternoon, he presented me with the turkey carcass, all wrapped up in plastic wrap, in a white bag. With a red bow on the bag. (Such a snot he is...and I mean that is the most loving way. Honest.) And yes, I took it home.

Respected Contributor

LOL, that's great!   I know only one person that does the...

@PamelaSue72 wrote:

Thank you, vebreeze, for the information. 

When I first started making broths and stocks, I thought I messed up when my stock got very gelatinous. I called my MIL to see what I had done wrong. She laughed at me and said that I did it all right and it's supposed to be that way. I didn't know that.

When our son got married, they hosted Thanksgiving dinner that year. During dinner, I asked DS what they were going to do with the turkey carcass; he said they were going to throw it in the trash. Well! From the look on my face, he knew! And he started laughing. 

When we got ready to leave later on that afternoon, he presented me with the turkey carcass, all wrapped up in plastic wrap, in a white bag. With a red bow on the bag. (Such a snot he is...and I mean that is the most loving way. Honest.) And yes, I took it home.

LOL, that's great!   I know only one person that does their own stock, he does consemme and cans it.

~~
Esteemed Contributor

I save my vegetable scraps (except for bell peppers) in the freezer. When I get two gallon baggies full, I use whatever bones or shells I have to make stock in my stock pot.

I love the way it turns out.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Occasional Contributor

Yes, tevery time I have chicken or turkey, and usually use the pressure cooker to make it.  Only make beef broth when I can find the bones on sale.  I also use the pressure cooker to can it, unless I'm making a gallon or so that I keep in the fridge.  The chicken/turkey broth gets used for everything (vegetables, soups, etc.) so it doesn't last long.  Not a fad as far as I know; my whole family has been doing this for decades (dating myself!).