Honored Contributor

Do you leave your dining table set when you're not hosting?

I enjoyed Alberti and Tara on the Temptations show this afternoon, but something they said got me thinking. They suggested leaving your dining room table set at all times to make your home more welcoming.  Well, I don't have a formal dining room, but even if I did I think that would be a no-go for me.  

Does anyone really do that?

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Re: Do you leave your dining table set when you're not hosting?

NO, I have a cat, and would have to re-wash everything before guests come over. 

Trusted Contributor

No, I don't set the table when I'm not having company. I do keep the table and chairs well-polished, as well as the sideboard. I have a white eyelet runner on the table and candle sticks at either end. It looks cared for and pretty, but not set for eating. 

Honored Contributor

@charsha 

Good point. I hadn't even thought of that. My two cats never go on tables or counters, but try as I might there is always hair blowing here and there. 

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I think it is another sales ploy. They were planting the seed, so people will buy these table settings.  I have never been in a home that had a table set for decorating purposes. It makes no sense at all. 

Honored Contributor

No, I'm here alone and haven't eaten at the table for years.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat- I know two people who do this, placemates, place settings, cloth napkins, silverware and glassware.

I don't get it but I don't said anything.

Esteemed Contributor

My friend's aunt has her dining room table set with place cards on the plates with all the people she would like to have as guests. Can't remember them but some place cards were for Brad Pitt, Mick Jagger, Obama, her favorite authors, etc. I'm told she sometimes changes the place cards according to her changing tastes. She's a funny lady.
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat  We have a bowl and two candlesticks (Luminara); and DH insisted we place some jacquard (early American coverlet-style) placemats. I prefer a bare table with candlesticks.

Honored Contributor

I knew a woman that had a fully set table in the 1970's!!!!

We eat in the dining room; I don't like eating in the kitchen over linoleum, and it's uncomfortable for an adult.

The kitchen table was perfect for our son's breakfast and homework.