Honored Contributor

Re: Do Your Remember - Pyrex Primary Colors Nesting Mixing Bowls?

[ Edited ]

Yes and I have a few pieces---a giant turqouise one from my mom--- and then a couple like the tan ones with the handles, only in turqouise too. Still use them--even have a small one in avocado green with white flowers---

Trusted Contributor

491DCE50-A757-452F-A930-685068453BF2.jpeg

My set...the colors are a little  different...DW

Honored Contributor

DH and I were walking thru a large antique mall a few weeks ago and there were two booths absolutely full of these bowls....I just loved all the colors.  I did not need to purchase, so I didn't look at the prices.  Next time we go, I'll check out what they are selling for.

Esteemed Contributor

I actually have 3 sets of colorful ones. I got the first set when I got married.The last 2 I acquired when my mom & MIL passed away.I just gave my DIL one of the sets, so I actually have 2 sets left.

Honored Contributor

I never had those, but I have the set that is clear with the tiny white flowers all around the sides.   I got them as a wedding present from a previous wedding, so it was a few decades ago plus.   They are still in pristine condition and, in fact, I have them stored inside a large L&L bowl.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner I don't recall seeing solid colors either. I was so happy when someone gave me a set of four. Never tried to find the one that was broken. 

Although I have a hand and large mixer, I like using these bowls when I want to whisk things, like eggs. Or for making salads. They are heavy, but obviously well made!

Trusted Contributor

@BunSnoop  I grew up in the late 50's/60's. Yes I remember these bowls well. My mom knew I especially loved the red one. She would make canned fruit and Jell-o in it. Fruit Cocktail or peaches. Always a double portion with two boxes of Jell-o.  Wonderful memory. Thank you. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

HI!

About a year ago, I was organizing my mom's kitchen stuff and found our colorful pyrex bowl set.  I was curious about the current prices and in researching that I ran across this article:

It was interesting and disturbing.  Now I'm not sure if I should sell my bowls or not.  I'm just storing them for now.

GET RICH...........Count Your Blessings!
Esteemed Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

I read in an article in a magazine yesterday that you could purchase these bowls in the 1940's for about $3.00.  Today, they're considered a collectable and sell for about $200.

Gosh, what great memories they brought back for me.  My mom had these when I was growing up (1960's) and I can remember her putting hard boil eggs to store in the blue bowl, jello in the red bowl or perhaps cucumber salad,  the green bowl she would have potato salad, and the yellow bowl she would use to mix her stuffing. 

I think she grabbed for those bowls everyday.  They always looked so festive on our table while everyone was taking helpings from each of the wonderful dishes she prepared.

Great memories (miss you mom)!!

Pyrex primary colors nesting mixing bowls set of 4 image 0

Someone here has a picture of these nested bowls as their Nic pic.  I think it is @Mominohio .

I see these bowls at flea markets, thrifts, and antique shops quite often.  They run around 40 to 50 dollars......not $200.  My mom had a set when we were growing up.    The large yellow one was great for popcorn. Woman Happy

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, @BunSnoop !

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Both grandmas and mom had sets.  

After seeing how they broke, I opted for metal.  Then they invented microwaves.

Just can't win.