Esteemed Contributor

Do Your Kids Like To Cook/Bake?

My son has been divorced for several years.  He cooked some when he was married and after the dicorce if he wanted to eat, he cooked. He and his guy friends do a lot of grilling. One has a smoker and they use that a lot.  He even baked his wife's B-day cakes. He and her little girl would bake and decorate the b-day cake after shopping for and wrapping her gifts.

My daughter. lol   She hates cooking with a passion. She has worked in a law offices for nearly 32 years. She's smart and great at her job. Her one boss told me, I don't know if she got her brains from you or her Dad, but she should have gone to law school. Yet, get her in a kitchen and give her a recipe and all bets are off. It's like she is reading a foreign language. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do Your Kids Like To Cook/Bake?

My grown children can both cook fairly well.  Not all from learning from me either!   

Their dad is an excellent cook and I became better because of him.  There are certain dishes they won't make because they say it doesn't come out like mine.  My fondest memories when they were young is the flour covered kitchen and children while we were baking pies for the holidays Smiley Happy   Yes, they enjoy and I am happy about that.

Respected Contributor

I am not a great cook, but both my kids are.  Daughter and her soon to be spouse (next weekend!) own a restaurant, and she helps cook when they need her in the evenings.  Son and his wife are both excellent cooks.  He makes the best pies ever!

Esteemed Contributor

Cook? Yes. Clean up? No. Like to cook and grill out at my house? Yes.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake   My daughter will gladly go grocery shopping and do the dishes and clean up after a meal.  Cooking? She would rather walk across broken glass. lol

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  But I hear your DD is terrific at organizing! It's so much easier today not to enjoy cooking; lots of options out there. But we always need those tidy folks!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

All three of my grown kids are excellent cooks.  Two also bake.  One son was making crab cakes last time I called him.  Another son makes divine cheesecakes.  He also made his own smokehouse and makes sausages, smoked fish and jerky. He's comfortable with the pressure cooker (all 3 are) and does most of the cooking for his family.  My daughter is always trying new recipes and I only wish she lived closer so I could enjoy some of them.

They grew up watching me enjoy both cooking and baking and I had them help as much as they wanted.  Both of my parents cooked and baked.  It catches on.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, both of my daughters cook.   They have a cooking style that suits them and their boyfriends perfectly, which is good and all that matters.   

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake  DD hates cooking but loves making quilts, tote bags etc.  I can cook and bake but can't sew a stitch nor do I want to learn. And yes, she can organize like crazy.

She did not get her talent for quilting from me.

Honored Contributor

Our son can grill one of his fresh rainbow trouts so perfectly, he can pull the entire set of bones straight up to remove them.