Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Remember The Dinnerware From Your Childhood?

@happycat 

And we're both cats!

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@ECBG My mother had white dishes trimmed with gold wheat design, they were dishes that came in laundry soap.

Trusted Contributor

I don't remember what my Mom was using before she started using this light green-colored set of Melamine some time probably in the later part of the 60's. 

For some reason, I still remember that particular set of every day dishes.

For holidays and special occasions. she used a pretty set of china with a maple leaf pattern on it that she had for a very long time.

I'm thinking that it might have been a wedding set gift to her and my Dad when they got married.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

@ECBG My mother had white dishes trimmed with gold wheat design, they were dishes that came in laundry soap.

@BeccaLou Oh!  I know exactly what you had!  We had a few!  Weren't they pretty!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I remember my mother getting dishes at the dime store.  How many even know what a dime store is.  She bought Fostoria at the dime store.  Nowadays that is such a highly collectible that people pay big prices for it.  I remember when she got mercury glass vases and Christmas ornaments at the dime store.  Lots of stuff at the dime store.  Unfortunately, the dime stores were overtaken by the big box stores who never offered Fostoria or Depression glassware.  I bet, however ,there are some things sitting at a mart right now that will be collectible in 50-60 years and people will oooh and ahhh over it.

Respected Contributor

My Mother got dishes from the local 5 and 10 store. They were an off white background with pastel flowers in the center and a gold (?) ring the outer ridge.Most of our dishes had chips on them too. Thanks for the memories .

Respected Contributor

@Happy2BHere The design was similar to this but a little less fancy, no gold.

Respected Contributor

This is so funny, I remember at the grocery store each week you spend so much money got a plate, bowl whatever to get the set. Did you all notice that Mom never had paper plates if you are from my generation. LOL 

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

260943650540.jpg

This is the first one I remember. We lived in NYC and once a year we'd vacation "upstate" as they call it in NY. There was a Corelle outlet in Corning, NY where my mom splurged and bought two sets in this pattern.  I inherited her love of dinnerware and I've had more sets than I can remember in the last 40 years.  I'm currently using a set of plain, white Corelle, which is kind of ironic.

————————————

We had this exact pattern when we got married in the 80s. Like you, we are now using Corelle again LOL, the

off-white color. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have a few pieces of the everyday dinnerware we used when I was a kid.

Some pieces have a chip or two, but I still love the pieces for memory sake.B3BA596C-B51A-4D5C-8322-63CB5E29E893.jpeg

We had these when I was older.  Franciscan Hacienda came in avocado green or harvest gold.  We had gold.  The  shine came off in the dishwasher but not the pattern. That was our every day stuff after the grocery store stuff with the ivy pattern.