Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Have a Garbage Disposal?

[ Edited ]

To me, the luxury is not in having a garbage disposal to keep clean.........it's having regular garbage pickup twice a week.  One is probably just as easy to deal with as the other, but I might as well take advantage of the trash service and put EVERYTHING in that bin.

Always had a disposal while growing up and later when living on my own, but once we got a home without  one and needed to watch what down the drain to the septic system, I never gave it another thought.

Once we went on public sewer and my kitchen designer wanted me to put one in when we remodeled, I turned her down.  I don't think she understood, though---probably thought I was nuts..  But after being present for  many home inspections with real estate clients and arranging many pre-homesale septic inspections and listening to plumbers, I'm OK doing without.

Considering the silverware that sometimes got mangled in my parents' disposal, I didn't have to worry about my teenagers doing the same.  Funny how the garbage disposal survived much better than the silverware, and was still working well when I sold my dad's house several years ago.  That  disposal must have been at least 50 years old.  It was an Insink-a-rater (or however you spell it).

Esteemed Contributor

I've talked to builders who say they would never have one.  They most certainly can clog up the plumbing (though that depends on the user - the true meaning of "garbage in, garbage out").

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

In the instructions that came with our house when it was new it said the more a garbage disposal is used the better, so I use mine every day! My housekeeper puts baking soda and vinegar down it, then when the foaming stops she fills it with ice and lemon juice and runs it. She comes every 2 weeks so that is when this is done. It works perfectly so far, & never smells so she must be doing the right thing.

Trusted Contributor

I have a Garbage Disposal and on my second one. I would not be without one. if our House didn't have one we would install one. I don't put Coffee Grounds,Celery, huge Bones, Onion Peels, Garlic Paper and I found out why you don't put Potato Peels down the disposal. It didn't ruin the Disposal but it clogged our pipes and my Husband had to take the pipes apart and clean out the Potatoes. I really have no issues with it smelling. It is a must have.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Sweetbay Magnolia, in every place we've lived, we've only had one kitchen sink (usually divided). And that's where the disposal is. So when I rinse the dishes, the remnants go down into the disposal. I know "they" say that you don't have to rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, but I just have to. Old habit.

I'm single, so I run my dishwasher every 2-3 days.  There is no way I am putting dirty dishes in the dishwasher.

I hand wash everything and put it in the dishwasher. Some things I use over again like my tea cup.  Other things I just dry in there and put away (like my KitchenAid attachments.

When I do run the diswasher, I run it on light wash since it's already been washed once.  The dishwasher just does a little heated germ removal ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

suzyQ3 wrote:

Sweetbay Magnolia, in every place we've lived, we've only had one kitchen sink (usually divided). And that's where the disposal is. So when I rinse the dishes, the remnants go down into the disposal. I know "they" say that you don't have to rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, but I just have to. Old habit.

I've also always rinsed the dishes before putting them into the dishwasher.

I've heard people say they don't.   I just couldn't get with that.  But one time we had a plumber in the house and one of the things he said that always stuck with me was 'the dishwasher is NOT a garbage disposal'.  

So, I will continue rinsing the dishes first.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think I have ever lived anywhere that did not have one and can't imagine not having one.

Honored Contributor

I have one, but have never really used it.  I've always cleared off plates in the garbage.  I try to remember to run it every once and a while.  I probably don't use it because no one I knew growing up had one.  Guess I don't understand the purpose.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We've always been told you can't have a disposal with a septic system. That's been through two houses since 1981. Now I'm just plain used to not having it.
Respected Contributor

We have an "Insinkerator".  It is relatively quiet.  We've had it a couple of years and it's still working.