Respected Contributor

Re: Dishwashers, Ina and Me!

I love my dishwasher and run it everyday. I am not a fan of paper plates and I hate anything that is plastic in the kitchen. So.....I have a lot of dishes to do.Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

Daily dishwasher user here.  Love the sanitize and steam clean cycles.  

Not a fan of plastics, don't have any wooden utensils.  Hate cast iron that can't go in the dishwasher, so mine is enamaled.  

Don't like handwashing anything.   (Same for clothing---handwash only--nope!)

Esteemed Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

I don't use my dishwasher.  There's no need - I only have dirty dishes for 1-2 people.  I'd rather wash them by hand in the sink.  It would be a waste to use the dishwasher (electricity and water).

@KatieB 

If you google, you'll find numerous references to this issue - handwashing actually uses more water, not less. (And if you don't use the heated drying feature, you won't use much electricity.)

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I do like to run my dishwasher every night, regardless of whether it is full or half-full.  I don't like waking up the next morning wondering "did I or didn't I"?  My husband HATES WITH A PASSION putting away clean dishes, so he just lays everything out on the counter for me to put away.  That's his idea of unloading he dishwasher.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

I don't use my dishwasher.  There's no need - I only have dirty dishes for 1-2 people.  I'd rather wash them by hand in the sink.  It would be a waste to use the dishwasher (electricity and water).

@KatieB 

If you google, you'll find numerous references to this issue - handwashing actually uses more water, not less. (And if you don't use the heated drying feature, you won't use much electricity.)

There is no way I use more water washing 2 plates and 2 glasses and 2 forks than it would be if using dishwasher..  I would have to see water measurements to believe those references with the water in the measuring devices.  @shoesnbags 

Esteemed Contributor

Dishwashing rules! Ha ha! The only rule I follow is to not wash things by hand, if I can avoid it.

Our dishwasher runs every morning (except Mon. mornings) around 5:30 on a quick wash no matter how much or how little is in there. Most of the time it's just a few dishes, but always my salad bowl and some utensils.

Things are always done by time I get my matcha @7:00. I hate having the dishes get cold in there, so I unload them while they are still warm.

Always Sunday after Sunday dinner (lunch, really), because I'm like you, hate having anything crummy hanging around.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't put good knives or good non-stick pans in the DW. If we have just a sandwich we grab a paper plate.  Even with just DD and I we run the DW every other day at least.

I never put non-food related items in the DW. That is just nasty to me. I've heard of people putting baseball caps in to clean them.  Yuck. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner I've done all of the things you mentioned and more.

I hate unloading the thing.  When my girls lived at home, they'd draw straws on who had to unload the dishwasher...

I usually live by myself and I don't cook so I can go quite awhile before I have to wash the dishes.

I pretty much wash them BEFORE I load them in because they can sit for sometime before I turn it on.

I have been known to put things in there that probably shouldn't go in.  I figure the dishwasher will "sanitize"  it.  Ha!

I'm all about "sanitizing" everything in the dishwasher (at least that's what I tell myself...)  "I'm sanitizing it for it's own good".  

Valued Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

By the way any suggestions on a dishwasher brand that is reliable in  cleaning dishes ? I hand  rinse all my dishes and  utensils before putting them in the dishwasher ,

I need to buy a new  dishwasher , however am not sure of  a good brand. So any suggestions ?

I had a relatively new Kitchen Aid dishwasher when I purchased my current home a few years ago. My experience was awful from day one. I finally gave up on it when I ran it for a 3rd time to clean the same set of dishes. I replaced it with a Miele and I'm happy with it so far. Bosch dishwashers also came highly recommended. 

If you have hard water, I'd recommend getting one with a built in water softener.  When I went looking for a dishwasher, the first questions the salesman asked was where did I live. When I told him he said, you have hard water, and showed me options with a water softener. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I don't put good knives or good non-stick pans in the DW. If we have just a sandwich we grab a paper plate.  Even with just DD and I we run the DW every other day at least.

I never put non-food related items in the DW. That is just nasty to me. I've heard of people putting baseball caps in to clean them.  Yuck. 

@CrazyKittyLvr2, I put my kitchen sponge and my scrubber in quite often. It washes and sanitizes them. I also put my sponge in the microwave for one minute on each side to sanitize.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland