Honored Contributor

Re: Dishes You Love (Or Loved) That You Don't Make

Quite a few things, many of them because DH doesn't care for them and I don't see any point of going through the trouble and expense of making them just for me. He hates rice, so all dishes with rice are off.  Also, scalloped potatoes, tacos, chicken salad, deviled eggs, any Mexican food of any kind.  We both used to like green bean casserole -- now neither one of us likes it.  Well -- there's a lot more, but I can't think of them right now!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

My Grandma's :

Challah

Gefilte Fish

Potato Knishes

Blueberry & cheese blintzes

Apple Streudel

Stuffed Cabbage

When Grandma cooked the aromas permeated through the neighborhood.Everyone would show up hoping for some. Grandma literally fed the entire block!!

Honored Contributor

Anything with beef, other than ground.  We used to have a broiled or grilled flank steak or London Broil every week or so, but DH says he can't digest it anymore.  I can't remember the last time I cooked a steak of any kind.  On my birthday and anniversary he takes me to a steakhouse - other than that, it's off the menu around here.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

My Grandma's :

Challah

Gefilte Fish

Potato Knishes

Blueberry & cheese blintzes

Apple Streudel

Stuffed Cabbage

When Grandma cooked the aromas permeated through the neighborhood.Everyone would show up hoping for some. Grandma literally fed the entire block!!

That sure does sound like great food.Your grandma was also a very generous person.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

has to be scalloped potatoes and ham------ could eat the whole thing

I still make scalloped potato’s with low fat milk I a white sauce.I love them.

Esteemed Contributor

The first things that come to mind are any pasta dishes.  I'm diabetic and have eliminated things like Mac & Cheese, Spaghetti, Lasagne, etc.  I'll still make spaghetti about once a year but I used to have it every other week.  I've made Mac & Cheese using half cauliflower but didn't care for the flavor & texture.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Doughnuts made from scratch and cabbage rolls are something I saw made as a child but have never made myself.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

Anything with beef, other than ground.  We used to have a broiled or grilled flank steak or London Broil every week or so, but DH says he can't digest it anymore.  I can't remember the last time I cooked a steak of any kind.  On my birthday and anniversary he takes me to a steakhouse - other than that, it's off the menu around here.

@house_cat   I can no longer digest beef.  I, however, love beef.  I love steaks.  We had a favorite place to buy steaks for special occasions.  I miss that.  It has been 20 years since I had a steak.  I probably have had 4-5 burgers in the interim, but no more than that, and then was unable to eat it all.

Respected Contributor

Had a Beef Bourguignon recipe (Beef Bourguignon I from allrecipes) that was fabulous, but very time consuming.  It had to marinate for 2 days.

Now I want some!  Along with many others I've been reading here...

Denise
Honored Contributor

I make everything that I loved as a child and love now...Also dishes my DH loves and I don't.

I love to cook and nothing is too much trouble.  I am worth it as is my family.

We are fortunate that we have no health issues.

i am gluten free and have adapted some recipes to accommodate for that, but still make food with gluten for my DH.