Respected Contributor

Disappointed in Corelle Dinnerware.

Many years ago I purchased a set of Corelle Dinnerware.   Those dishes have lasted for years and have gone through the dishwasher so many times that I've lost count.    I've always loved the lightness of them and also the durability.  

Since they were purchased more than 3 decades ago I decided that I wanted a change  to a different pattern.   I went to the Corelle website and chose a pattern that had a blue design around the rim of the plates and bowls.     The set arrived and I was very pleased with how it looked.   

I chose a pattern that would coordinate with my present set.   I used both patterns on my table for our meals and started to notice that my new set was beginning to fade.  The blue pattern was slowly disappearing and the plates and bowls were looking terrible.   

The older pattern that I purchased back in the 80's were still like new.   The pattern hasn't faded at all throughout all of those years. The dishwasher hadn't done a thing to the old set.

This new set which was just purchased at the beginning of this year is already looking old.    The plates and bowls are mainly just white now and you can barely see any blue design at all.      

I am so disappointed in them.   Had I known that they would fade so badly I would have just purchased the plain Winter White design.    With these dishes fading at the rate they are now I am soon just going to end up with all white dishes anyway.  

I always equated Corelle Ware with quality.   I guess since they are no longer being made in Corning NY but instead being manufactured overseas they have just decreased in any kind of quality control.    It's so sad to see a company that once made such a good product change their manufacturing process and create such an inferior product.  

I have a small set of Fiestaware plates and bowls that I would use for everyday use if they weren't so darn heavy to handle.     I just use them occasionally when I want to set a prettier table for a holiday or special event.    I've never had a set of expensive china because of our lifestyle is very informal.   I think the patterns are beautiful but just not something that I really desired.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Disappointed in Corelle Dinnerware.

Could the new dishes be  fake - not the real Corella?

I gave up on my heavy Johnson Bros  England last year and bought 2 sets of Corelle and love them.  Dishwasher action every week - no sign of change yet; but decoration is only gray 2 stripes going around edge plus some dots.

Can you call Corella and ask and perhaps get replacements?

Honored Contributor

@J Town GirlSad to say, the Corning Company that made many quality products died quite a few years ago.  I have no idea who would be making Corelle now, but even if they're using the Corning name, as you already know -  it's not the  Corning of our past.

Honored Contributor

I have had Corelle dishes for at least 10 years they are square white plates with a red graphic and while bowls with a red rim. They have held up beautifully

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I’m in the same boat.  I’ve had my Corelle dinerware for so many years I can’t remember when I bought them. I sometimes think It would be nice to get something different but the Corelle is still in good shape after all these years.   My daughter has Fiestaware but I agree it is so heavy.  I too like the Corelle durability and lightness but I haven’t really come across any brand better than what I have.   So I think I’m stuck with them! 😃

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I personally never bought Corelle, but we had them in the department where I taught Adv. Foods and they held up beautifully.  They were all white.

Since it's just the two of us and we serve in the kitchen (at the table with our DS, DIL, and grandsons), I can easily carry my Pfaltzgraff to the table.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@J Town GirlI don't blame you for being disappointed. Corelle was always a great option for dependable, everyday dinnerware.

And anyone who associates Corelle with limited patterns, doesn't know the product. (Just google "vintage Corelle.") We go to antique shops regularly, and I've often picked up beautiful dinnerware for closer inspection, only to learn that it's Corelle. And there are complete sets, too, though most vendors sell individual pieces. One beautiful set even included a covered butter dish!

I have to say, many people either don't kow the value of items--or they don't care when they're clearing out an estate.

You'd be surprised what you can find out there. And, as you know, there's nothing like vintage Corelle.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

My mother and aunt liked their Corelle dishes, I'm sure their sets are from when they were being made in the NY. My aunt is still using her dishes and my sister inherited our mother's dishes and still uses them daily. I luse Fiestaware, but they are indeed heavy.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Etsy has lots of vintage Corelle dish sets.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if it is your dishwasher detergent. My husband bought me Rocky and Bullwinkle glasses last Christmas. And they went through the dishwasher just a few times. Now the color is all gone on the glasses. And it is hard to make out the original design.

Yet, I have old jelly (Welchs) glasses with Tom & Jerry on them. They have to be 30+ years old. And the design on the glasses look like they are new.