Frequent Contributor
Do any of you like to decorate cakes? I took a class about 10 years ago. I only completed course 1. It's always something I was fascinated with, ever since I was a little girl.
Honored Contributor

Hi there!

I took the Wilton class for cake decorating some years ago, also. Loved it! My daughter took the beginners and advanced course, she's really good at it.

Wilton also has yearly books they put out to keep us in touch with what's new in decorating. If you have a Michael's store nearby, they carry the books and needed supplies.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I do not but my mom was a great cake decorator....she made doll cakes for our birthdays....a semi round cake, flat on the bottom and a barbie type doll down in the center and she would decocrate the entire cake...she also made a few wedding cakes, she could knit and crochet too!! Me...not so good at those things but I am a bit crafty.......

Respected Contributor

It's a lot of fun. I have Wilton books from the early 80's. I just taught myself. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy. Time consuming is all.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

I admire those who can decorate cakes, but I'm not one of them. I rarely bake cakes, so I would never get the chance to practice.

Esteemed Contributor

I decorate as well. Also was a necessary part of my commercial bakery that I had going for 6 years. Still keep the tips around and use the large ones all the time for piping potatoes and toppings on pies. Those two things are so easy to do and can be accomplished by someone who is barely a beginner.

Regular Contributor

I took a class about 25 years ago and still love decorating cakes. Labor intensive but fun.

No desire to do wedding cakes however!

Frequent Contributor
It's been several years since I've worked with any of my decorating supplies. In the new year I am wanting to have a couple of friends over on a Saturday and us break out the decorating kits to practice. I never could master the basic rose very well so I am wanting to get that down.
Respected Contributor
On 12/30/2014 YellowLabMom said: It's been several years since I've worked with any of my decorating supplies. In the new year I am wanting to have a couple of friends over on a Saturday and us break out the decorating kits to practice. I never could master the basic rose very well so I am wanting to get that down.

I find using a smaller nail works pretty well, and I just use the petal tip as opposed to making a mound with a round tip. I know we're our biggest critics and what doesn't look good to us is probably ok. Throw some leaves down and drop the rose on top. Smiley Happy

This is a basic cake that I do often in different colors.

cake

cake

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
New Contributor

Yes!! I have always loved to bake, and this year started my own custom cake business. I love working with fondant and creating beautiful designs. I plan to become licensed by my state as a home bakery business in 2015 and start expanding my business. You can see my work on my Instagram page. Just search for my user name: custom_cakes_by_beth.