Super Contributor

What do you have on top of your top cabinets? I seriously need to update  my decor up there, right now have some 'country' items, but really want to get away from that. Nothing too cluttered. Ideas?

Esteemed Contributor

I do have space between all my upper cabinets and the 9' ceiling in my kitchen.

IMO having anything displayed up there, above eye level, looks cluttered.

I think the most contemporary look is to have nothing on top of the cabinets. Dust catchers.

Respected Contributor

My kitchen does not have this space, but if it did I'd put pretty bakeware, pitchers, and things there.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

When I had a kitchen with that space, I had nothing up there.  I hate the look of that useless clutter that collects a bunch of dust.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I have a couple baskets with artificial greenery.  I always add a few decorations at Christmas but that’s long gone now. Last week I got up there and wiped the tops of the cabinets down.  I do that at least a couple times a year to get rid of any dust and grime. 

Honored Contributor

When we remodeled the kitchen, I decided I didn’t want the cabinets to go all the way to the ceiling. Now I realize that was a mistake. 

There is a big molding on the cabinets so nothing can go on top. We have a strip of lights so it does look nice at night.

Esteemed Contributor

My last home had space between the cabinets and ceilings....I had baskets and other decorative items up there. When I moved and had to pack all that stuff up, I was shocked at how dirty and greasy the "stuff" was. I vowed to never do that again....and I haven't. I decided that cabinet tops don't need to be decorated since I don't like cleaning all that stuff on a regular basis!

Esteemed Contributor

My cupboards go to ceiling - but if I had space - nothing - absolutely nothing up there.  Just grease (from cooking) collector and dust  I hate over decorating too.  (clutter)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Decor over top cabinets

[ Edited ]

@nanny24 : You are correct to update your above cabinet decor. The update would be to remove everything that's up there and leave the area clear.

In most all cases, above the cabinet decor of any kind looks very dated and cluttered. Kitchens, by their nature, are visually busy enough with appliances, countertops, tabletop decor and backsplashes.

If you feel you MUST put something up there, I would opt for a very few beautiful plates or platters. Can be found for cheap at any thrift store. Less is more.

You might also consider updating your cabinet & drawer handles and/ or knobs.

Respected Contributor

Re: Decor over top cabinets

[ Edited ]

I do decorate that area with a platters, some vases and a baking dish all coordinating with my cabinets. Easy to clean, they all go in the dishwasher every few months. 

I have been looking on Pinterest for ideas to change up what I have but have not found anything I like.