Honored Contributor

I bought them once a long time ago from TJMaxx.  I wasn't impressed with them.  I've been tempted to order them since they make them sound so good, but then I remember that I didn't think they were all that great.  I don't like Cheryl's at all.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Exceptionally good 

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt

Yeah, the purses were turn-offs for me too!  I've got a rooster, chickens (gave one away), doggie(gave away!) and a beautiful bunny rabbit (sent directly to a friend when she was recouping years ago.  

In fact. that's what started me on these pastries.  My friend lived in a different state and went through a wicked recovery after a few operations.  I would make up care packages - which she looked forward to bigtime.  After her last operation, had nothing on-hand to put together a care pkg, so ordered the bunny rabbit filled with brownies and crumbcakes. Well, needless to say her enitre family (including five sisters, one brother) raved about it - loved the pastries, too.  So, decided to get some and yeah, wish QVC would sell the brownies and crumbcakes - and with cookie jars even better!

Super Contributor

@Sherbear1 wrote:

Are they good? How do you freeze them if they are not individually wrapped?

I've ordered David's Cookies before and they're delicious. But I also like Cheryl's as well.

If I recall, David's cookies/brownies are bagged inside the boxes and so whenever you want to take a bag out of the freezer, if you don't plan on defrosting/serving the whole bag - then you could simply re-seal the bag & put back in the freezer. Or you could put the rest of them into a Lock & Lock and then put back in the freezer. That's what I do.

You can also store the balance in the fridge for a few days, if you know you'll be finishing them up in a couple of days.

But I would be leery using a FoodSaver, only because the pressure might crush the cookies if you aren't careful and monitoring it during the vacuum process.

Honored Contributor

I've gotten David's Cookies for several years and thought them quite good for what they are.  I got their crumb cakes on AD for about 3 years.  I really miss them; very good.  All of David's products are a big improvement over Cheryl's.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Maltese Momma, I don't think I've ever seen these cookies on the Q. Are these David venable Products, like he had influence on the cheese burger pot-stickers?

Respected Contributor

Back in the 80s when I bought one of their crumb cake slices  and sort of liked it, but was way too buttery (and I love butter) and sweet.  Then a few years ago I ordered some scones and the meltaway cookies, but both were quite stale.

@BeccaLou  you didn't address your post to me, but no they are not David Venable's cookies.  They are from a NY company and have been around for a few decades.

Respected Contributor

I have had both Cheryl's and David's cookies. David's win hands down in both taste and texture.  Cheryl's are no better then grocery store cookies. More of a mass produced flavor and wayyyy to sweet and cakey. David's have more of a homemade flavor. If you can't make them at home, I would go with David's.

Honored Contributor

We've done both. Cheryl's were just too sweet and tasted like something you'd buy in the store. 

Davids: Depends. We ordered them last year from HSN and it was a large bundle of cookies. Some arrived in boxes like you would buy at the grocery store: NOT impressed in any way, in fact, they tasted stale. Others arrived in a plastic baggie placed inside a box. THOSE WERE AMAZING!!!!!

The ones in the plastic box looked, tasted and smelled as if I had just made them in my kitchen. EVERYONE loved them. The ones I remember that were stale were:

shortbread

Florentines (you see these at TJMaxx all the time)

pecan shortbread

choco chip shortbread.

The meltaways were....out of this world. 

Valued Contributor

Don't know about David's cookies but Cheryls cookies are awesome, especially the ones with buttercream frosting.  Yummmmm