Honored Contributor

@giddy up

I think he has toned it down a bit with the happy dance. I don't notice him doing it as often, though it didnt bother me - I think he's delightful.

@momtochloe

How did Mary do on Wednesday night? I wanted to watch but we weren't home.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

I'd be able to watch his shows when and if he ever starts acting his age, and stops mimicking what he perceives to be "Southern". I'm Southern, but I don't talk the way he exaggerates. Stops not only the Unhappy Dance, but also the hip bumping with vendors and calling everyone Honey, Darling, Sweetie, etc. etc. etc.  Some may find it cute, but to me it's an insult.  I love kitchen/cooking shows but I can only watch this one for about five minutes at a time.

However, I've enjoyed the substitutes during the holidays. More of that, please.

@Perkup   You must really love Paula Deen.   She's an affront to all thing Southern.   She make David look like an amateur.

Nope - don't care for Paula Deen either  She's as phony as they come when it comes to language. I have about a dozen relatives (1st and 2nd cousins) in the Savannah area, and none of them sound like Paula Deen.  When I was growing up, my teachers all had the same "warning".  "You won't always live in the South and you don't want to be thought a fool because of your language and pronunciation."  They were right.   And I resent anything that pokes fun at the South or Southerners.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@giddy up

I think he has toned it down a bit with the happy dance. I don't notice him doing it as often, though it didnt bother me - I think he's delightful.

@momtochloe

How did Mary do on Wednesday night? I wanted to watch but we weren't home.

@house_cat I thought she did great but then again I am truly a fan.  She is one host that I can literally watch through her entire shift.  I love it when she is on overnight with Chef Joe and they do a Kitchen Clearance.  I am happy to see that even after being on the air as a host for I think over a year now her presentation style hasn't changed . . . Smiley Happy

Please know I like David too very much but what I grow weary of is the relentless repetition of products for his shows . . . Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

I'd be able to watch his shows when and if he ever starts acting his age, and stops mimicking what he perceives to be "Southern". I'm Southern, but I don't talk the way he exaggerates. Stops not only the Unhappy Dance, but also the hip bumping with vendors and calling everyone Honey, Darling, Sweetie, etc. etc. etc.  Some may find it cute, but to me it's an insult.  I love kitchen/cooking shows but I can only watch this one for about five minutes at a time.

However, I've enjoyed the substitutes during the holidays. More of that, please.

@Perkup   You must really love Paula Deen.   She's an affront to all thing Southern.   She make David look like an amateur.

Nope - don't care for Paula Deen either  She's as phony as they come when it comes to language. I have about a dozen relatives (1st and 2nd cousins) in the Savannah area, and none of them sound like Paula Deen.  When I was growing up, my teachers all had the same "warning".  "You won't always live in the South and you don't want to be thought a fool because of your language and pronunciation."  They were right.   And I resent anything that pokes fun at the South or Southerners.

@Perkup I couldn't agree more.  I am not from the south but my mom and I used to truly look forward to her earlier shows on FN.  Great recipes, great presentation.  Then when her career took off, so did her accent and her on air style.  We said good bye to her after the first couple of episodes of the disastrous "Paula's Parties" show which I think lasted one season . . . good heaven's how FN let that on the air is beyond me.  I am no prude but yikes!

She seems to have dialed it back quite a bit when she is on Evine and it seems when she gets wound up they do pull her off the air for a bit of a time out . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I used to take her magazine till she became a diabetic.

Respected Contributor

< "You won't always live in the South and you don't want to be thought a fool because of your language and pronunciation."  >

@Perkup I think that showed predjudice on your teacher' s part more than whoever they were speaking of as percieving southerners as being "fools".

Valued Contributor

David is sick and won't be on ITKWD today.  He has lost his voice. Mary will be his fill in.

Honored Contributor

@marky wrote:

David is sick and won't be on ITHKWD today.  He has lost his voice. Mary will be his fill in.

@marky thanks so much for this.  Although I am sorry David isn't feeling well and best wishes for his speedy recovery I look forward to seeing Mary take his place . . . . Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe Even though I am not from the South, I was born and raised in MN, and everybody just assumes we ALL sound like the characters from the movie "Fargo", yes some areas of the state have a more pronouced accent, but not everybody!

Honored Contributor

Yeah, she's OK. Liked her better with darker hair. Poor David always something.