Contributor

I personally think David is a saint. He is the consumate gentleman and a good show host. And I think he's a saint because I believe he's one of the very few (if not only) host who is on air 4-5 hours at a time. I think the stations takes advantage of him and his good nature.

It has to be quite a strain to be talking, chipper, and informative for that length of time.  I salute you, David.  

Respected Contributor

I would think 5 hours is too long to host a show.  Years ago a couple of hosts complained lightly about 4 straight hours. 

I like David also and really enjoy watching him.

Esteemed Contributor

@Diamond Gal  David is our favorite! He is always entertaining, no matter what he is selling. And that's not easy. We think his shows should be required in Marketing classes. We watched him behind the scenes on a QVC tour and observed him giving pep talks to his co-workers while off camera and sharing with them how many items were sold. He is something rare these days, and often disparaged, a true "company man."

Honored Contributor

I thought David usually works with  a co host, that would mean the co host takes up some of the slack. I believe some of the female hosts work 5 hours on air on occassion too and they also work with  a co host.

Honored Contributor

I often watch his shows too.

But I wouldn't be so worried about David.  I'm sure he gets paid very, very well for what he does for QVC.

He has a contract with them.  I'm sure there are many clauses over the years that have been put into that contract.

You don't see him popping in and out here and there.

His shows are very specific to him.

I'm not busting on him.  He does specific shows and does them very well.

I'm just saying his hours are much better set than some of these people who have different and what seems like to me not especially great hours.

Respected Contributor

@Diamond Gal @PA Mom-mom @Sunshine Kate   He is the "best of the best" in his chosen field.

He is a natural for television.  I seem to remember references to his having been on air in some capacity for a TV station before working here.. He engages the viewer, tells the story, and closes with the customer--by making the sale.  I'm sure he wasn't as polished in the beginning on Q so many years ago, before I started watching.

I try to tune in whenever he is on.  There are other hosts, of course, that I also enjoy.  Of the long service hosts, there is not one I absolutely dislike and I've gradually gotten acquainted and gotten to like and get more comfortable with the newer ones.

Do they sometimes make gaffes, run on too long, etc.?  Of course, but they are human and sometimes flub up.

It is a job not everyone is made for.  Constantly have to keep the words flowing, hence the overuse of some pet phrases since there is nothing worse than "dead air" which is an eternity on television or radio, and unnerves the audience and ruins the flow.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Respected Contributor

@Diamond Gal wrote:

I personally think David is a saint. He is the consumate gentleman and a good show host. And I think he's a saint because I believe he's one of the very few (if not only) host who is on air 4-5 hours at a time. I think the stations takes advantage of him and his good nature.

It has to be quite a strain to be talking, chipper, and informative for that length of time.  I salute you, David.  

He just turns me off, till I never watch when he's on. To each his own.

Honored Contributor

He has lots of vacation time, also.

Esteemed Contributor

He knows most of it like the back of his hand - as the old saying goes..............much of the time David is in 'robot' stage .....colors - q-card - easy pay - your opportunity - don't miss out on this.....gone when gone.

Honored Contributor

LOL