Honored Contributor

DO YOU MAKE YOGURT?

[ Edited ]

I have been making yogurt for at least 30 years and I like it so much better than "store-bought."  I have some going now and I can't wait until it is done.  

It isn't as tart and is creamier than most bought yogurt.  I add  some fruit, honey, preserves and/or cereal for crunch!  I LOVE it!

I have always used a yogurt maker and have had few failures--either with yogurt as a starter or the powder starter.  I am using 2 percent Lactaid in this batch.  Sometimes I strain it for "Greek" yogurt and sometimes I transfer it to smaller single serving jars.  We cook with it and put it on baked potatoes too.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I do ferment it myself. Not always. Sometimes the family eats up what I saved for starter so I end up buying some. I've never used a yogurt maker. I've fermented it next to the wood stove in winter back when we had one, and I've fermented it sous vide, but most of the time I just use my Excalibur dehydrator to ferment because I can fit a 3 qt jar in it. I also use an airlock now and ferment yogurt in my Pickl-it jars with the airlock.

I like the way it tastes that way. I've used different starters but now days I mostly just use commerical Greek yogurt as starter. I only use one kind of milk though, a local one that is full fat and non homogenized from Jersey cows because it has the highest fat and sets up the thickest with just miik and starter.  I don't add dry milk powder. We used to have a Jersey cow and dairy goats so I've done raw before also. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I made yogurt all the time in my trusty little yogurt maker, but it died and I never started up again. If I'm not mistaken yogurt doesn't thicken up using skim milk and I follow a cardiac diet so I don't bother making it any more. I really try to stay away from dairy, although I love it.

Esteemed Contributor

Both my parents were Armenian.....growing up my mom would always make yogurt using a starter--long before yogurt makers!  It was thick and rich like custard--and unflavored.....no such thing as fruit flavored yogurt back then!  The addition of Armenian crackers was always a treat.....wonderful childhood memories...

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I made yogurt all the time in my trusty little yogurt maker, but it died and I never started up again. If I'm not mistaken yogurt doesn't thicken up using skim milk and I follow a cardiac diet so I don't bother making it any more. I really try to stay away from dairy, although I love it.

I believe you can use skim milk.  Everything I've read says you can.  You could probably strain it a little if you needed to!  I just like home made better.  I don't like to use powdered milk in it to thicken it either.  

Valued Contributor

I would love to make it at home. Can anyone recommend a yogurt maker? 

Honored Contributor

i have made it without yogurt makers in a large pot and put into an oven overnight, but i like the convenience of using the yogurt maker. it makes the perfect amount for us to use in about a week. i have the salton brand.

i use whole milk yogurt as a starter and then use a few spoons of my yogurt when i make the new batch. if it doesnt turn out great then i start with a store bought wholemilk yogurt again. we like it more on the sour side, so it sits for about 24 hours.

nothing beats making your own......i like it savory and we serve it as a side dish for dinner. add shallots, mint, dill, spinach, raisins/walnuts, currants, crushed rose petals, pickled beets, garlic, cucumber.

tonight i made saffron rice with lemon chicken. i had broccoli as a side dish and also mint/cucumber yogurt.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I love homemade yogurt.   I generally put homemade granola in it.  I use canning jelly jars and that way I have room to add stuff.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@CinNC I use the Dash Greek Yogurt maker for $25.  Amazon...

[ Edited ]

@CinNC

I use the Dash Greek Yogurt maker for $25.  Amazon has them, and I got mine from HSN.  They are sometimes higher but you should be able to pick one up for $25.  It comes WITH the strainer, so it is a great deal

BUT it only makes about 5 cups of yogurt.  But it works well.  Has two containers with it too.