Valued Contributor

Has anyone here made a cake using melted ice cream?

I've come across one website that calls for a cake mix, and 3 eggs and a pint of melted ice cream. On another site it calls for a cake mix, eggs, the melted ice cream and one cup of water. Supposedly the ice cream takes the place of the oil and water so I don't know which is correct, have any of you ever done this? All the reviews say it turns out delicious. For example using a vanilla cake mix with butter pecan ice cream or lenon cake mix with strawberry ice cream, before I go and attempt this I was hoping for some clarification.

Anybody...? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone here made a cake using melted ice cream?

Sorry, but I have made a mess with melted ice cream and ice cream cakes with softened ice cream for a gluten free ice cream cake.  

You might as well try it, since there are reviews about it being good.  What have you got to loose?

You won't learn how to make it unless you make it....and maybe make a few mistakes along the way.

Honored Contributor

I tried one of these recipes and it was "nothing extra" and I would not make again.

Valued Contributor

Thanks ladies ( sorry I'm assuming) for your opinions. Oh I am one of the worst cooks ever. LOL Even if I follow a recipe it won't turn out well. Man Tongue These are the worst emoties. Yikes

Honored Contributor

I don't think you can mess up a cake mix following the directions.  Just don't underbake or overbake it.

Respected Contributor

And don't over mix it. My ex-roommate turned on the mixer and just left it for 5 minutes. It bounced because it developed too much gluten, and that was a box mix. She wanted to cook/bake like her mother, from instinct, but she forgot that you have to learn the rules of cooking/baking (especially baking) before you go mixing things up.
Honored Contributor

No can't say I ever saw a recipe for it.  I've made desserts calling for softened ice cream.

Honored Contributor

Sounds as though the OP may have to mourn the tragic loss of a perfectly good pint of ice cream.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have.

It was for Tiramisu Cake, Tiramisu is my favorite dessert so I was really looking forward to it.

It was MEH and like another poster said, wouldn't make it again.  I didn't even save the recipe.

Valued Contributor

Okay I made it, used a butter cake from Duncan Heinz and used caramel/vanilla ice cream. It turned out nasty. I threw it out, it had a strange texture. Live and learn. At least I'm consistent.