Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I love cruciferous vegetables but, after cooking, how do you remove the awful odor from youi house?

Respected Contributor

Re: Cruciferous vegetables ...

awful odor to you is delicious aroma to me.  love the smell of my veggies roasting. 

Respected Contributor

I cook them either in my garage or out on the deck in an electric pan. You can fry, steam, saute or boil in that pan and I love it. Fish, shrimp, garlic, onions almost everything that would go on a stovetop that would leave an odor is cooked in that pan. 

Valued Contributor

It is part of the cooking process.  I love the aroma of everything I cook so it does not bother me.  I know some people who do not cook fish and will only eat it in a restaurant because they say it smells.  To me I like to have the aromas linger in the air while eating.

As for removing the odors, you could try opening windows on all sides of house for cross ventilation which would clear it out.  And keep doors to all other rooms shut to keep it from going there in the first place.  I do this automatically if I fry things so the frying odors do not get into bedrooms & clothes.

Honored Contributor

It’s the smell of health.

Now meat cooking, oil splattering everywhere?  That’s icky. 

Trusted Contributor

I roast hem in the oven a little olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder. No bad smell

Honored Contributor

We have a Sharper Image air purifier when I need it.  I also use sugar cookie or apple scented candles.

Super Contributor

I roast my veggies in the oven - delicious, but it does produce an odor that is offensive to me, particularly the next day.  Currently, I spray Febreeze around the house, and it seems to dissipate the smell pretty quick, or at least by the next morning.

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Honored Contributor

Don't boil them or cook them to death.  Quickly stir fry, roast in the oven or sousvide them!

Regular Contributor

Place a small bowl of vinegar out on your counter. It absorbs and obliviates the odor.