Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to faeriemoon, I am again considering a crock pot.

I enjoy braising (low temperature, long cooking time) dishes in the oven. The longest I've gone was a large pork shoulder for 23 hours!

So what do you like best about your crock pot? How does it differ from braising something in the oven? What are the benefits of using a crock pot over an oven?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

I like the ease of cooking in a crock pot. I would not be comfortable leaving the house with the oven on but it doesn't bother me to have the crock pot going while I am not home. Not sure if there is a difference.

I have a couple different sizes. But the one I use the most is a large oval. A turkey breast fits in it nicely. The skin isn't crisp but we mainly make it to make turkey sandwiches. The more I look on the internet the more recipes I find that I want to try.

I like that you put in the ingredients and go about your day and then in 6-8 hours you have a tasty meal without having spent part of your afternoon preparing a meal. I never tried to cook anything for long periods of time - so I guess that is why I am comfortable using a crockpot. But believe me I am not an expert - I have had the large oval crockpot for about a year. My son bought it for me. It has some bells and whistles, a locking lid, different temperatures, and I think I used every option - except delayed timer.

Good luck - whatever you decide.

Honored Contributor

I use mine mostly for soups, although I have also done scalloped potatoes or an occasional casserole. I am a non-traditional user in that I don't like to leave it on when I'm not home, so it's mostly for weekends or summer cooking. My favorite is probably for dried beans, because I don't want to stir something for an hour on the stovetop.

Super Contributor

I work and have a 3 hour commute (round trip) so the Crock pot is a must. I set it on low as I am out of the house 11-12 hours a day. Today I made a roasted vegetable soup which was divine! I also make chicken soup, chili, roasts, basically anything!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks all!

Smurfette, that is exactly what I am looking to do: assemble everything the night before and have it cook all day!

Esteemed Contributor

I use my crockpot for soups & beans & ham. I have cooked chicken & pot roast but I prefer meat done in my Nesco. The exception is corned beef.

Esteemed Contributor

Other than the time factor, is there an advantage of using a crock pot over a stove top or oven?

For instance, when I make my beans, I have to add water every so often. Do you need to do that with a crock pot?

Respected Contributor
When you hear the words "set it and forget it", that describes cooking in the crock pot. There is next to no evaporation, so everything stays moist. Meats and poultry are fall off the bone tender and whatever you are cooking is thoroughly infused with flavor. In my working days, it was my best friend....there is nothing like walking into your home and being greeted with delectable aromas.... Poodlepet
Honored Contributor
On 11/13/2014 lolakimono said:

I use mine mostly for soups, although I have also done scalloped potatoes or an occasional casserole. I am a non-traditional user in that I don't like to leave it on when I'm not home, so it's mostly for weekends or summer cooking. My favorite is probably for dried beans, because I don't want to stir something for an hour on the stovetop.

I have made dried beans for 50 years and have never stirred them for an hour--and I make them on the stovetop. I put in plenty of water to start with, simmer on low, and may stop by and peek in and give them a stir once in awhile to see if they are done.

Why are you stirring them for an hour?