Respected Contributor

Re: Crockpot Casserole Slow Cooker

[ Edited ]

@KathT
@KathT wrote:

@denisemb

I have been eying this for some time, too. I am hoping someone has tried one of these & could give a review. I checked online reviews & there aren't many, though the ones I found were positive. I like your suggestion for crisping the topping, thanks. 

Kohl's this on sale this weekend and there is an extra discount through today for their friends & family sale, so am hoping to take advantage of this.

You had to tell me that, didn't you?  LOL  Now I really want one!

Denise
Regular Contributor

@novamc1

Thanks for the suggestion to check the reviews on crock pot dot com. I did check them and they convinced me that I do need one of these.

@Meowingkitty

Thanks for replying about the way you have used your CP Casserole.

@Tuppermore

We have a larger family, too. Thanks for your input on your crock pots. Wow, 11 crockpots, I am in awe! I agree about the hot spots in the Crock Pot brand. It is a more of a problem in the new cps. I actually donated one I purchased a couple of years ago with a note attached warning that one side had a rolling boil on low. I replaced it with a GE Programable recommended by one of my daughter-in-laws, which is my favorite.

@denisemb

Happy to oblige & enable, lol.

Well, ladies, I decided to go ahead & purchase the one at Kohl's. Since our Kohl's is open till midnight, dh & I went around 9:30 last night, only to discover they were sold out. The other Kohl's in town was also sold out with 6 on back order. This seems to be a very popular item. I made a comment to the SA helping us that I would just go home & order online. He encouraged me to order at the instore terminal since everything ordered that way has free shipping (to get free shipping from home required a $75 minimum order). So my new crockpot has been ordered and I should have it next week. Thanks to all who replied, you are the greatest!

Honored Contributor

@KathT, My husband was leaning towards our getting one, he thought it was great. But I didn't want one. I have 3 sizes now and like to use my oven. This would need to have a new place to rest once it's not in use and I just don't see our using it enough. If you get one, tell us how it has helped you in your cooking, and if you are using it a lot, and what you're making in one. Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

I've had the casserole crock pot now for quite a few months; we got it right after it first came out. It works very well. I've done crock pot mac and cheese, pork chops, chicken, etc. I'm very pleased with it. I also like that the insert comes out and can be easily washed. And that I can use the insert in the oven when I need an extra 9 x 13-inch pan.

One caution: I think it cooks faster than my older crock pots. So if your recipe states to cook for 8 hours, you might want to check it after 6 hours. Just an FYI.

I like it and I'm glad I bought it.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal

Thanks for your comments. I have thought about purchasing this for some time. I wasn't sure I needed it either. I am getting this mostly for entertaining, if it works it will free up room in the oven so that other things cook more efficiently. Last year there was one too many casseroles in the oven & some things took longer to bake than they had before. One dish overcooked.  If I like the way it cooks I will be using it more often. We are empty nesters & on a day to day basis I don't do as much crockpot cooking as I did when we had kids living at home. We just don't eat as much as the recipes make. I do freeze the leftovers & don't need to cook everyday because of this.

When it comes to storing this & the other crockpots, my dh built shelves in our basement many years ago. This is where I store these & many of the dishes & things we use when we entertain. About 3 years ago we reorganized the storage room and got rid of a bunch of the things we no longer needed/used. This gave us the opportunity to group all our entertaining stuff that was all over the house in one place.

Four of our five sons and six of our eleven grandkids live within 10 miles of us. We will use this crockpot when we have them over. I will come back & report on how it cooks.

Regular Contributor

@PamelaSue72

Thanks for posting your experiences with the crockpot casserole. It is helpful to know what you have used it for and that it has worked successfully for you. Thanks for the tip on the cooking time! The newer crockpots do cook hotter & faster so I will definitely factor this in. I am hopeful I will like this as much as you like yours.